• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DEFENSE

Deacon93

Reaction score
I really don't understand how we can be such shit on Defense. Danny must get this right. I don't see how we can have some of the most athletic players but be so shitty on D. This K-State team has no business hanging with us on the floor. Absolute shit show! What's the point of the commitee putting us in if we can't beat a team like this. Guess Boeheim was right. We should be in the NIT. Fuck this team.

Yup. Hopefully we are not on the bubble next year because we won't be picked after this showing.

Serious question - is manning getting credit for "Collins development" based almost solely on the coach telling him he needs to stop playing defense? And save himself for offense? I mean did he really teach him all that much? I'm trying to figure this all out.

Collins showed these flashes last year and his coming out this year coincided with his lack of defensive effort and a layup line breaking out.

Don't get my wrong, Collins is a monster and Danny recruited well, but did he really make Collins a lotto pick? Or more so just free him up by giving him a hall pass.

Maybe I'm overreacting. For the record I did say almost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defense

I really don't understand how we can be such shit on Defense. Danny must get this right. I don't see how we can have some of the most athletic players but be so shitty on D. This K-State team has no business hanging with us on the floor. Absolute shit show! What's the point of the commitee putting us in if we can't beat a team like this. Guess Boeheim was right. We should be in the NIT. Fuck this team.

That's bullshit. This team is/was incredible offensively, but it seems like Danny does not recognize when a lineup puts our entire team at a disadvantage on the defensive end of the court. Wilbekin (God bless him...) works hard and tries to bother the guy that he is guarding, but I would guess that they person being guarded by Mitch shoots on average 30% better against Wilbekin than he does against any other player that guards him. I know Kennard blistered him, but it wasn't just Kennard. It seemed like at least one player in every single game played his best of the entire year when Wilbekin was guarding him. If it wasn't for his scrappiness and shooting in the 1st half, we likely would not have even been close enough to make this a game. But when you need a stop in order to make the comeback happen, you absolutely cannot have Wilbekin in the game. Wouldn't have minded an offense (Wilbekin) for defense (Childress) substitution pattern tonight.

Unfortunately, we just fucking laid an egg tonight on defense. I seriously think we can do much better next year, and potentially be extremely good if Collins comes back for ONE MORE YEAR!

Have some of the most athletic players? What!!? Dinos = not athletic. Arians = not athletic. Woods = not athletic. That is 60% of our starting lineup. Then you bring in Wilbekin who is both not athletic and way undersized. Childress is undersized and not very athletic as well, but at least he seems to have a lot of toughness in him. And then we have lineups where Arians is playing the 4 and Woods is playing the 3. That is a recipe for disaster. I dare say a major part of the reason we are so bad on defense is because we really have one single guy that plays more than 10 minutes game and is over 6'3" with decent athleticism. And he seems to be scared to death to challenge on defense in order to keep from getting into foul trouble.

I'm just not convinced that John can be a good defender. He was a foul machine last year and this year he just decided to not even try defense. He's athletic but not a good defender. I hope that changes either while at Wake or the next level. His offensive game seems to have outpaced his defensive game.

Doug Gottlieb tweeted that JC has no feel for interior/post defense.

We should have been working on a zone defense from the day practice began for this season. Did not have the personnel to defend teams man to man.

I wouldn't say Collins is worse at defense than the majority of our players. I hate to say it, but a big part of me thinks this comes back to coaching and could be something that continually plagues Manning's squads.

Have some of the most athletic players? What!!? Dinos = not athletic. Arians = not athletic. Woods = not athletic. That is 60% of our starting lineup. Then you bring in Wilbekin who is both not athletic and way undersized. Childress is undersized and not very athletic as well, but at least he seems to have a lot of toughness in him. And then we have lineups where Arians is playing the 4 and Woods is playing the 3. That is a recipe for disaster. I dare say a major part of the reason we are so bad on defense is because we really have one single guy that plays more than 10 minutes game and is over 6'3" with decent athleticism. And he seems to be scared to death to challenge on defense in order to keep from getting into foul trouble.

This. Part of our problem on D is lack of athleticism. We also lack size on the perimeter, and what size we have (Arians) isn't quick.

Maybe the AD can offer Odom a consulting agreement to work with DM in the off season on D. I don't think Wake has been good on D since Odom left.

I wouldn't say Collins is worse at defense than the majority of our players. I hate to say it, but a big part of me thinks this comes back to coaching and could be something that continually plagues Manning's squads.

This is what got Mark Gottfried fired from NCSU. Tons of offensive talent with no defense. The plan to outscore a team usually leads to games like this. To be honest, this is the Deac team I was expecting to see all year, but we got on a roll after the UNC loss. It seems the UNC loss galvanized the team and coaching, but something happened during tournament time. I know that is typical March for us, but losing to KSU and VT is not a good look.

I'll make the prediction that Chaundee singlehandedly makes transforms us from a subpar defensive team to an average defensive team. People pointed out from the start of the season that we have NOBODY that can guard a 6'6" wing player. Those players have absolutely trashed us all year. Arians, Woods, Wilbeken just can't do it. On many nights, their offense was not enough to overcome the defensive shortcoming. Teams that were patient enough to run enough motion (Vtech, Kstate, etc) exploited these players, if not directly, indirectly by getting everybody else out of position until they had an easy shot.

This. Part of our problem on D is lack of athleticism. We also lack size on the perimeter, and what size we have (Arians) isn't quick.

Maybe the AD can offer Odom a consulting agreement to work with DM in the off season on D. I don't think Wake has been good on D since Odom left.

All three of Dino's teams were solid to good on defense.

I'll make the prediction that counting on a freshman wing to transform the defense is foolish.

Let's say we would've won last night and even beat Cinncy Friday night, imagine how many points we'd have given up against UCLA, 120 would've been possible.

Back