• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Desolation of Smaug

Rewatching Smaug

Just realized Bilbo always too quick too put on and worse yet take off the ring

Only frodo could have gotten the job done

Yeah Frodo was the man.

Smaug was a heckuva movie, incredible visual experience and several thrilling parts.

Someone's going to make a sweet 3-hour supercut of all three Hobbit movies someday so those things will finally be watchable. What a bloated mess.

Yeah Frodo was the man.

Smaug was a heckuva movie, incredible visual experience and several thrilling parts.

ed202b533682833749385e915f23206c_original.gif

Yeah Frodo was the man.

I feel like the passage of time will be beneficial to the second Hobbit movie.

Let's hope the third is the best.

#nerdhat. the ring affected frodo differently than bilbo (vis a vis Sauron's strength and knowledge of the Ring's finding). it's not really fair to compare the two. bilbo's draw towards the ring only developed/deepened in the years between his journey and the events of LOTR, some 75+ years

Last edited:
#nerdhat. the ring affected frodo differently than bilbo (vis a vis Sauron's strength and knowledge of the Ring's finding). it's not really fair to compare the two. bilbo's draw towards the ring only developed/deepened in the years between his journey and the events of LOTR, some 75+ years

So you see no significance in how quick he is to put on and take off the ring?

He takes the damn thing off twice in the presence of Smaug

I actually think the Bilbo/Smaug scene is greater than the Bilbo/Gollum scene.

So you see no significance in how quick he is to put on and take off the ring?

He takes the damn thing off twice in the presence of Smaug

I actually think the Bilbo/Smaug scene is greater than the Bilbo/Gollum scene.

that's what i mean, bilbo doesn't feel the Ring's pull because It's not that strong yet. To Bilbo, it's a magical curiosity/tool. The canon is quite clear that the Ring's power of dominion waxes/wanes based on Sauron's strength.

that's what i mean, bilbo doesn't feel the Ring's pull because It's not that strong yet. To Bilbo, it's a magical curiosity/tool. The canon is quite clear that the Ring's power of dominion waxes/wanes based on Sauron's strength.

This may be the nerdiest sentence in the history of the boards, and there have been some damn nerdy sentences.

blah blah blah. The thing that always annoyed me was how different the Hobbit felt than the Lord of the Rings and how differently they treated the ring. The reason of course being that all the "canon" was ex post facto because Tolkien's publisher vetoed what became the Silmarillion and told him to write a sequel to what was supposed to be a stand-alone work. The ring as a plot device in the LOTR serves its purpose, but the ring "canon" is kind of thin.

blah blah blah. The thing that always annoyed me was how different the Hobbit felt than the Lord of the Rings and how differently they treated the ring. The reason of course being that all the "canon" was ex post facto because Tolkien's publisher vetoed what became the Silmarillion and told him to write a sequel to what was supposed to be a stand-alone work. The ring as a plot device in the LOTR serves its purpose, but the ring "canon" is kind of thin.

tumblr_inline_mtk2vzIbrB1qalx1j.gif

shotsfired.jpg

yeah, that had nothing to do with the fact that the hobbit was written 20 years before LOTR with an entirely different purpose.

i mean, taking a step back, we're talking about LOTR here. i really don't care if you like or dislike them. it's uber nerdy but I like the books. There are also like 5 versions of the Hobbit, Tolkein kept editing it to fit more stylistically with LOTR & The Silmarillion.

Last edited:
yeah, i have no problem with the dumb elf chick either. it's a little weird but overall it's consistent. I also like the parallel White Council vs Sauron/Necromancer at Dol Guldor. That's the stuff from the appendices worth exploring

how does one come across a deviantArt picture of a donut w/ LOTR script?

Back