• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Detroit Keeping It Real!

ONW

Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/26/news/economy/detroit-bankruptcy-arena/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Priorities be damned and never trust a man named Kevyn with money!

"Detroit's financial crisis hasn't derailed the city's plans to spend more than $400 million in Michigan taxpayer funds on a new hockey arena for the Red Wings."

" Kevyn Orr, the emergency manager he appointed to oversee the city's finances, to stick with the plan. Orr said Detroit's bankruptcy filing won't halt the arena plans."

"Additionally, Orr wants to make deep cuts to both the pensions and health care coverage promised to city employees and retirees."

Last edited:
Geez I thought it was $300M.

I got a $1.00 that says, if Detroit builds the arena that it costs over500 mil

Geez I thought it was $300M.

The cost contributed by the government is just under $300MM, the $400MM+ includes the interest paid over the life of the bonds that are being issued to fund that amount.

I think this, from the article, is misleading:

"The schools won't lose a dollar," said Robert Rossbach, spokesman for the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., the non-profit agency overseeing the project. "It was designed to have minimal impact on city of Detroit operations."

Yes, they won't "lose" a dollar. But, from what I've read, the revenue stream being used originally went to education. The funds were diverted for a 20 year development project that just completed this year. So the team owners and politicians can make the argument that the money isn't coming from new taxes and isn't taking money from other areas, but it is money that could otherwise be used for education.

So the schools won't get a dollar.

Thanks for keeping us informed, Avalon.

Karl Welzein ‏@DadBoner 19 Jul
Whoa. Guess Detroit's all outta bread. Kinda concerning?

Don't know how Detroit's broke. They got the Tigs, Wings, AND Lions. Gotta be bank flowin' in. What the crap'd they blow all the dough on?

Detroit needs a fundraiser. Have Kid Rock and Bob Seger play for a couple days on 10 story speakers you could hear for miles around? Man.

Detroit should have street kids go into other cities to sell candy bars "for their basketball team" before school starts back up.

If Detroit has to close up shop for good, everybody drivin' a foreign car should hang their head in shame for a few days, you guys.

Babes dig a bad boy with a real American auto. Not some corncob in an import, blarin' their Maroon Fives, wavin' & grinnin' like a doofus.

Them Prius's might be better to "save the planet" or some crap, but is the planet really worth Detroit's death? They do SUCH a great coney.

Sure, drivin' a Prius is chill if you're ok with datin' babes who wear loose slacks and only do tight lipped peck smoochin'.

Guess I'd get me a Prius if I planned on keepin' it solo and lonely in the babe department for the rest of my life. Not my style though.

As far as I'm concerned, "IMPORT" is just another word for "TRAITOR." Think that might be in a Springsteen song, you guys.

Next time you consider an automobile, ask yourself, "Could I see Bob Seger havin' a song in the commercial?" There's your answer.

Detroit should hire Stone Cold as muscle for Bob Seger, then just walk around Detroit sayin, "Clean up your crap, 'cause Bob Seger said so."

Maybe Detroit could just tear down all them old buildings and put in a bunch of golf courses? The revenue'd be off the chain.

Love to help out Detroit, but I'm low on cash 'til Harper Columns comes hot 'n ready with my free Camaro and that cool million.

It's tough to help out others, when you're still waitin' on receivin' your own free crap to help yourself first, you guys.

Most of that hockey money is probably coming from the suburbs anyway.

Back