• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Detroit - There's just no money

It isn't complex. It is simple. You can't keep kicking cans down the road forever. Had Detroit taken action years ago workers might have something instead of what they face today - which is virtually nothing.

It's unbelievably complex. Trying to make it about one issue is part of what got Detroit in its mess. Instead of addressing its vast, underlying system of infrastructural and socioeconomic problems, it tried too hard to retain manufacturing and lost out big.

That question is completely irrelevant to the "complex reality" you cite. Only the reality is not at all complex now. It is incredibly simple. Detroit has no money. It can stiff its bondholders for everything they are owed (the administrator wants bondholders to take 10 cents on the dollar). It can completely eliminate public services. It can try and raise taxes but it won't do anything because Detroit is a wasteland where half the population doesn't pay and raising taxes will only serve to drive the few who remain and do pay out of the city entirely. Even with all of these actions those receiving pensions will be completely fucked. And it didn't have to be this way. But that's what happens when people refuse to deal with fiscal reality.

It's unbelievably complex. Trying to make it about one issue is part of what got Detroit in its mess. Instead of addressing its vast, underlying system of infrastructural and socioeconomic problems, it tried too hard to retain manufacturing and lost out big.

Even if I presume it was all a matter of trying "too hard" to retain manufacturing (which would be an incredibly dumb strategy given the costs to associated with a unionized work force relative to other places where that doesn't exist), even if I accept your dumb ass premise, it is IRRELEVANT. The reality is that Detroit is BROKE. And had public worker unions taken a hard look at fiscal reality they could have restructured their benefits so there was something left instead of what they now face - which is NOTHING. And that, is SIMPLE. It's called MATH.

Looks like someone in Chicago recognizes that message. We'll see if their union bosses do or whether they end up suffering the same fate. I presume you'll blame Chicago's ills on it trying too hard to retain deep dish pizza restaurants.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...chicago-edit-1205-bd-20131205,0,5683818.story

Last edited:
I am not sure what Detroit did to "try too hard to retain manufacturing." I'm not even sure what that means.

What it did, as far as I can tell, was keep building infrastructure, hiring people, and otherwise spending money as if it would always be a city with a growing tax base. When the then-current tax base wasn't big enough, Detroit borrowed money to fund operations and promised big pensions in lieu of current salary (which is basically the same thing), promising to pay for it with future income from that theoretically always growing tax base. Amazingly, they continued to do this long, long after the point where it became crystal clear that Detroit and it's tax base were actually shrinking, and would continue to shrink for the foreseeable future.

It is critical and frightening to understand that hundreds of cities across the country have been and are continuing to do exactly the same thing. In Detroit, the tide went out and revealed that Detroit wasn't wearing a swimsuit. The same thing can happen to any city, it just happened more dramatically in Detroit. For most cities it is still working kind of OK as their tax base is continuing to grow to some extent, but another recession or a big crash in a critical industry could do the same thing to a lot of cities.

"Trying to hard to retain manufacturing" was unclear wording, I guess, but I meant when manufacturing and industrial jobs left, so did everything. There was no diversification whatsoever. It happens similarly when a place relies too heavily on tourism or forestry or any such industry and there is no backup plan. Instead of trying to become a tech city, which to some extent they did, they pretended it would always be the 40s-70s. People moved out when the jobs left, and the city kept spending like they hadn't.

apparently they (city of detroit) has over a billion dollars in art. That is so cool!

Back