• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas Appreciation Thread

Richard Howell is one of the most underrated players in the country. He probably has the most to do with State being where they are. He ranks in the top 100 in both rebounding categories and in offensive rating. Thomas would have to raise his rating by .4 to get where Howell is this year. If Thomas can do what Howell is doing this year I will be very happy. I don't see him being a lot better than Howell in any way possible.

I am big on DT though. Howell is just a much better player than most think.

You damn right. Howell is a beast that does those types of things you want a big doing.

Richard Howell is one of the most underrated players in the country. He probably has the most to do with State being where they are. He ranks in the top 100 in both rebounding categories and in offensive rating. Thomas would have to raise his rating by .4 to get where Howell is this year. If Thomas can do what Howell is doing this year I will be very happy. I don't see him being a lot better than Howell in any way possible.

I am big on DT though. Howell is just a much better player than most think.

This.

Howell is a baller and he's been both extremely productive and consistent throughout his career. 17.2 points per 40 minutes pace adjusted and 13.3 rebounds. In fact, Howell has never averaged fewer than 13.3 rebounds per 40 minutes pace adjusted (he maxed out at 14.1) and 14.7 points per 40 minutes pace adjusted. He has never shot lower than 48.7% from inside of the arc.

To put this in perspective: Devin is averaging 9.3 points per 40 minutes pace adjusted and 10.7 rebounds at 42.3% 2FG as a freshman.

Perhaps Devin makes the jump, but that would be almost unheard of for his caliber player.

Like I said, our biggest year 1 to 2 jump from a lower-ranked big man has probably been Vytas from 6 and 4 to 12 and 7.

Lynch's high school team, Patrick Henry HS (Roanoke), beat Mourning's team in the state semifinals back in the late 80's. It's not like Mourning had no idea about the guy.

I meant unknown nationally compared to Mourning...That's interesting though, I did not know. Makes sense now that he kicked his ass.

Oh I know. My comment stays the same though. Howell is shooting 63 and has a 125 offensive rating. Thomas is shooting 42% and has an 82 offensive rating. Even if DT could get his offensive rebounding where Howells are, he has virtually no chance to exceed or even match Howells offensive output and efficiency. Very few in the country can or are doing what he is doing either. No knock on DT, I think you are undervaluing Howell a little bit.

I love Howell. I think you are underrating Devin.

Teams understand that if you put a body on Devin and brush him with another, Wake doesn't get offensive boards. Also, he doesn't have a CJ Leslie or other rebounding threat to make it easier for him to get rebounds. This makes a huge difference.

He's already a better passer than Howell.

He's not as good a shooter or scorer. I think that will come with work. Devin gets himself into position to score. He's not finishing. That should come with some experience.

We don't have a PG to get him the ball in places that are easy to score like Howell does. Nor do we have another inside option offensively to keep the opposition honest on D.

As to "offensive rating", State plays much faster and a more traditional offense. We keep Devin away from the boards much of the time in our offensive sets. This one of the problems with using such numbers.

With Thomas, Rountree, and Moto, this team has the potential to defend and rebound very well.

Back