• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino Gaudio charged with extortion

Dino was fired after Ish got us a win (!) in the NCAAT, followed by a Kentucky beatdown.

That is why the national press was so confused - it's pretty rare to fire a coach after he wins an NCAA tournament game, even one involving two teams who are imploding

How can I be expected to keep up with all the NCAA tourney beatdowns we've experienced over the years?

Dino after Skip passing, alright. Dino hired, meh. Dino fired after winning a tournament game, ok if... home run hire actually hired. Yet, we all know how that turned out.

again - firing dino was smart. hiring buzz was stupid.

There are people in this thread (and a few more on the other board) saying Dino should have gotten another year, even AFTER the extortion charges. Anyone who remembers Dino's firing as obvious, fully supported by the fanbase, or essentially without controversy is way off base. Just glancing quickly at a couple articles a day or two after he was fired it's called a snap decision, curiously timed, lots of talk about how good his record was and the rankings Wake reached. There were hugely bitter fights in the Dino Gottago days.

Absolutely this. It was far from the conciliatory approach that we're seeing now on this thread.

And I'll say this, you can be an absolute bonehead and obnoxious jerk to as many people as you want in life, but if your boss tries to guide you in another direction, you'd better have a different tone, or at least not be surprised if you're let go soon after. I know their working relationship wasn't the only reason, but it most certainly didn't help either.

It's not as if Dino was wrong to tell Wellman he was a moron. We are all well acquainted with what happened when Ron took control and steered the program in the direction he believed it needed to go.

Absolutely this. It was far from the conciliatory approach that we're seeing now on this thread.

And I'll say this, you can be an absolute bonehead and obnoxious jerk to as many people as you want in life, but if your boss tries to guide you in another direction, you'd better have a different tone, or at least not be surprised if you're let go soon after. I know their working relationship wasn't the only reason, but it most certainly didn't help either.

So Dino became a bonehead and an obnoxious jerk only after he got his extension from Wellman, not before?

Power rank these three coaching candidates:

Dino Gaudio coaching the team via Zoom from inside a minimum security federal penal facility
Jeff Buzzzdelick
Danny Manning

Power rank these three coaching candidates:

Dino Gaudio coaching the team via Zoom from inside a minimum security federal penal facility
Jeff Buzzzdelick
Danny Manning

Dino via Zoom over shitty dial-up internet inside a minimal security federal penal facility

Bzzzz

Me

Manning

Dino after Skip passing, alright. Dino hired, meh. Dino fired after winning a tournament game, ok if... home run hire actually hired. Yet, we all know how that turned out.

You forgot "Dino getting extension" and "Dino getting fired less than a year after said extension".

Ron, is that you?

Once again, all insinuations here about his character issues, but nobody wants to say what the issues were. Did he threaten to kneecap said posters? I mean, if the guy is looking at hard time and has had his reputation destroyed, I think that at this point we can probably come clean and make public all the rumors about his character instead of making nebulous references to them.

I said what I heard already, which was that...

(1) He was banging coeds.
(2)That Mafia suit he wore to the first home game.
(3)
(4)
(5)

Please feel free to fill in 2 through 5. I will put the caveat here that I have no idea if 1 is or was true (nor do I care), and can't vouch for the truthfulness of 2-5 either. There, you're now off the hook. Come clean.

3) The difference between a haircut and a coif.

Last edited:
How can I be expected to keep up with all the NCAA tourney beatdowns we've experienced over the years?

I recall the one in the 90's against UK with Jamal Mashburn in Charlotte. We left with 10 minutes remaining in the first half. Historic beatdown. I believe we were close to 20 points down at the first TV timeout. To add insult to injury, we listened to the UK broadcast (crystal clear) all the way home. Couldn't find a Wake station. UK announcers started talking about their golf handicaps in the second half.

Anyone think Dino actually gets convicted of anything or goes to prison? I don't; not the latter anyway.

Anyone think Dino actually gets convicted of anything or goes to prison? I don't; not the latter anyway.

No prison. He's going to cooperate and the prosecution likely won't pursue actual prison time beyond possibly home confinement, unless they're real hard-asses, which I doubt in this case. But he'll get convicted of something. Real question is whether he goes public with more information.

Back