• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino on ESPNU

Coaches don't want to be judged by how they do during the last two weeks of the year. They'd rather be judged by the complete body of work. And yes, Dino is well liked, but you could look at that any number of ways.

We liked Sidney Lowe and Paul Hewitt a lot. A LOT.

I don't mean by fanbases. I meant by other coaches. Maybe well respected is a better way to put it.

On this topic, I'm a huge Doug Gottlieb fan. He knows his stuff.

Really? I can only take him in small doses. Just comes off as so pompous to me, especially for somebody that has so little credit.

(see what I did there?)

Dino also made a comment last night that seemed to be bitter towards Wake. He said something along the lines that Skip may have known Xavier was a better program than Wake when coming to Wake, but that the challenge of coaching against greats like K was too much to pass up.

Obviously Wake was in a decline at the end of Odom's tenure, and Xavier is the better program now, but standing in 2001 Wake seems like the better program. 1994-2001 (Skip's tenure), Xavier won one game in the NCAA, won an A-10 Championship, and made it to 3rd place in the NIT. That's it. In that same period Wake went to the Elite 8, the Sweet 16, won two ACC championships, and won the NIT national championship.

Last edited:
Dino was not that grea of a coach IMO and I know the athletic department was not happy (along with many donors). I've heard of several player issues and agents were crawling all over the place with JJ, Teague, and Aminu enrolled. Things were apparently getting out of hand.

ETA: Should disclaimer that I know none of this first hand and is just typical boards fodder that many others post, but I thought I'd throw in. It is what I've heard from some solid folks who have worked within Wake basketball

Last edited:
Agents around Butch Davis style? Or agents around towards the end of the season trying to get our boys to jump early? Chris Paul style.

Great analysis of Butler. KILLED IT!

Norad to Revis analogy. Its OVAH! Butler wins.

Gotta love Dino's game breakdown.

Norad is great and Butler is great and Dino is great and all -- but be real, REVIS is superhuman. Norad is no REVIS. COME ON DINO.

Agents trying to sign our guys and becoming a "huge nuisance" to quote those I know. One player problem I heard about was an issue in Miami during the tourney

I think many of you can recall when Dino laid out a diatribe against agents talking to "his kids" last year without talking to Dino first and this corroborates (sp?) what I've heard that they were crawling all over for two straight years.

I'm often reluctant to post opinions on here but others seem to knock Bz without hesitation - frankly, I was more concerned with Dino and am glad he is gone. Sure he's probably a reasonably likeable guy but I didn't want him as the Wake coach.

Obviously Wake was in a decline at the end of Odom's tenure, and Xavier is the better program now, but standing in 2001 Wake seems like the better program. 1994-2001 (Skip's tenure), Xavier won one game in the NCAA, won an A-10 Championship, and made it to 3rd place in the NIT. That's it. In that same period Wake went to the Elite 8, the Sweet 16, won two ACC championships, and won the NIT national championship.

Yep - Odom's last 7 seven years compared to Skip at X

Wake - 4 NCAA, 1 Sweet 16, 1 Elite 8, 3 NIT, 1 Championship
Xavier - 4 NCAA, 2 NIT

Exactly what I was thinking. Xavier became a better program than Wake while Skip was here. In the 9 years of the Prosser/Gaudio ERA here we go . . .

Wake - 6 NCAAs, 1 Sweet 16, 1 NIT
Xavier - 8 NCAAs, 2 Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16

Just to be clear, I think that Skip had us on the verge of greatness when he passed so please don't interpret this as something it isn't. I am just saying that the comment that Xavier was a better program than Wake Forest can only be based on hindsight. In 2001 that wasn't true. I can't say I was paying much attention at the time, but I doubt that Skip taking the Wake job was considered shocking, certainly not as shocking as Donovan taking the State job or Painter taking the Mizzou job would be.

I'm not sure if this topic is forbidden around here, but there are some pretty obvious reasons why Xavier and Wake flip-flopped when Skip came here.

I'm not sure if this topic is forbidden around here, but there are some pretty obvious reasons why Xavier and Wake flip-flopped when Skip came here.

I think Skip was a decent coach. I think he got us as high as he was ever going to get us and we had some great regular seasons. Both Thad Matta and Sean Miller have proven themselves to be excellent coaches. We will see if Mack can continue to carry the torch at X.

Just to be clear, I think that Skip had us on the verge of greatness when he passed so please don't interpret this as something it isn't. I am just saying that the comment that Xavier was a better program than Wake Forest can only be based on hindsight. In 2001 that wasn't true. I can't say I was paying much attention at the time, but I doubt that Skip taking the Wake job was considered shocking, certainly not as shocking as Donovan taking the State job or Painter taking the Mizzou job would be.

Interpreted as back in 2001, Wake was a better program and more attractive job.

Interpreted as back in 2001, Wake was a better program and more attractive job.

I was just speaking in general, not to you specifically. That's all I intended, but I was afraid that some might take it as an indictment of Skip's coaching.

Anyone else think Dino looked like he was a lil rosey in the cheeks on that program last night? Maybe he was enjoying 'the drink' too much during the commercial breaks... with a coed...

I think many of you can recall when Dino laid out a diatribe against agents talking to "his kids" last year without talking to Dino first and this corroborates (sp?) what I've heard that they were crawling all over for two straight years.

I'm often reluctant to post opinions on here but others seem to knock Bz without hesitation - frankly, I was more concerned with Dino and am glad he is gone. Sure he's probably a reasonably likeable guy but I didn't want him as the Wake coach.

Agents/Runners were a problem the moment farouq and crew got to Wake. There was an incident the summer before their freshman year with 2 players and a runner that resulted in a very serious team meaning. Dino laid down the law early about this kind of stuff and I think he handled it well. The coaching staff was proactive about these things so Ive never quite understood the "culture" talk

I think Skip was a decent coach. I think he got us as high as he was ever going to get us and we had some great regular seasons. Both Thad Matta and Sean Miller have proven themselves to be excellent coaches. We will see if Mack can continue to carry the torch at X.

I'm calling Xavier falling back to the pack, pre-Matta vintage, with Mack as the coach. From what I've seen of his teams, they seem to be more like Prosser's than Miller's, and I don't think that's a good thing.

He and Kelsey will recruit well, in that they will get some highly regarded guys just like Skip (due in no small part to their efforts) did here, but the few games I've watched (and they are, admittedly, few), I just didn't see it.

I know they rocked the A-10 this year but flamed out in the tournament (sound familiar?), and he's a young coach, so it could all change. Mack strikes me as a cool guy, though; Kelsey less so.

To get sort of back on topic, the little bits I saw and heard of Dino on tv were much better than any of the press stuff he did here. I always cringed when I heard him speak at Wake.

Back