• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan sez we whiffed on OB momentum

My memory isn't perfect, but didn't Camp miss time in each of the last three seasons? I still can't believe that they tried it, but I wonder whether the option focus was an attempt to reduce the number of hits he took.

My memory isn't perfect, but didn't Camp miss time in each of the last three seasons? I still can't believe that they tried it, but I wonder whether the option focus was an attempt to reduce the number of hits he took.

Think so. But the option increases the number of time our QB gets hit... Which would eliminate the chance of a QB to throw to him.

There's no doubt about it. In my opinion instead of aggressively trying to take advantage of the 2006 momentum, Grobe and Co. just kept status quo and didn't really try to take our recruiting up a notch. The attitude of our recruiting puddle is small, we've got to take the diamonds in the rough, the guys that are a little smaller, shorter, or slower than than the big boys want. I think Franklin has shown at Vanderbilt that it is possible to recruit at a higher level at a "have not" school. Grobe should've been pounding his chest, touting his record against in-state schools and the fact that Wake Forest is the only North Carolina program to ever go to a BCS bowl and the first to go to a major bowl since probably Duke in the 50's or so. Instead I think it was just status quo, never even trying to shed at least a little bit of the LOWF mentality. It's a shame because I think things could be very different now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we could ever be a consistent power program in football, but I can't help but feel we should've gotten more mileage out of the 2006-2008 run than we have.

“I don’t think it’s a program thing, it’s just the way Wake Forest is always going to be,” Grobe told ESPN.com

" but eventually the weight of a small private school competing in a conference dominated by much larger state institutions proved too much of a load, just as it had for the 40 years before Grobe arrived. Levitation is hard to attain, and even harder to sustain."

fuck off, dan

Decline after the OB- Dan: Day Late and a dollar short- actually a lot of days late and many dollars short.

" but eventually the weight of a small private school competing in a conference dominated by much larger state institutions proved too much of a load, just as it had for the 40 years before Grobe arrived. Levitation is hard to attain, and even harder to sustain."

yeah, that hurts....

Going 6-6 vs the very beatable lower tiers of the ACC and the cupcakes is not an impossible task. Damn for a number of years the top teams were very beatable. And it is all self driven as to putting an organized, aggressive team on the field. Recruiting like rebounding is mostly will and effort and you can get good players- enough to compete. Bullshit excuses. Grobes panties are not on fire much less his coiffure.

All of this was perceptible at the time. We didn't attempt to elevate our recruiting and draw commensurate with our accomplishments. This was a failure of the program and the AD. But at the time everyone was basking in glory and hooted down any voice that expressed concern that nothing was happening like it should.

I'd like to mention a game that LOWF should have won. The GT game in '09 down in the ATL. Ehrmann's personal foul not withstanding, this game came down to poor decisions by the coaches. The final play of the game, GT has the ball on the 1 yd line and WF is in a base defense not a goal line D. You had 230 ILBs standing 2 yd deep in the endzone in front of 330 guards. The game was over before the ball was snapped. If you can think of any other game since '08, please add to the list.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/20/3390066/duke-vs-wake-forest-as-a-demon.html

Didn't see this posted elsewhere; nothing we don't already know but notable that Disco/Country Dan recognizes it in print.

Don't forget that we have also had a change in school President during this time and that has drastically changed the philosophy of what our athletic department is allowed to compete for to get in school. We shoot ourselves in the foot and are our own worst enemy. Same as we did to George Grer in baseball in the early 2000's when the Faculty & Debbie Best got mad over the Hooks Field lights issue and took it out on the juco transfers and their curriculum and quit letting them in unless they were qualifiers out of high school. Our baseball team was not having any issues back then, they were good kids & were graduating, but yet they felt the need to change things & then RW ran off a 600 game winner like George to boot.

"This may be the best Wake defense I've seen in my 20-plus years of being on the beat. It's experienced, fast and aggressive."

I don't think Dan remembers 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Back