• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

Avatar is the opposite of something like Office Space that did nothing at the box office but became a cultural touchstone. Avatar was an event film that many many people had to see once but it doesn't translate to TV. No doubt Cameron was hoping 3D TVs would be more common by now.

It was a beautiful movie but it didn't draw me into that world to want to meet the characters like Star Wars.

By the way, heard that Darth Vader will be in the next Rogue One trailer.

Last edited:
Man I really want to go to Disney again this summer for the new Soarin'

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Just started listening to the latest Disney Dish with Jim Hill podcast to get this info. My man, GaDeac.

And Jim Hill explained that Rivers of Light was delayed to include...you guessed it...The Jungle Book. And that was based on $70 million estimates at the time. Apparently, it was going to be themed around the Disney Nature films which usually premiere on Earth Day which is when Rivers of Light was supposed to debut as well.

I got that news from the same podcast. And it makes sense on The Jungle Book.

Just got back from the Dark Side Challenge down in Disneyworld, which was basically a 10K on Saturday and a half on Sunday. I thought they did a really good job with it, reading some Twitter comments online it seems like some people were mad that there were only a few Disney characters whereas the 501st filled in for a lot of the character photo ops. It really didn't make any difference to me, and I was ok with running on the road for about 5 miles of the half considering we got to run through Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood studios before the park opened. The medals were amazing, and so were the tech shirts. I don't think I've ever seen so much Star Wars stuff in the same place before.

Another thing my friend noticed is that on some of the rides, he forgot to scan his magic band at the end to get the pictures uploaded to his account, so when he logged in later, he was surprised to find that those pictures were there anyway. I guess Disney has scanners that can monitor where you are at probably any time. Kinda big brother-ish but it would definitely be useful if your child got lost in one of the parks.

I ran the half this weekend as well. It was the fourth Disney race I have run and the sixth one I have been at. I didn't think they had as many characters out for this run, but didn't really expect them to have the Disney characters be a part of the event. They could have had the characters dressed as their Star Wars counterparts, but I am not sure that would have totally fit in with what they envision this race being. It is a Star Wars race, not a Disney race. The only place I thought the characters they did have out could have done is a better job is as you were leaving Animal Kingdom. They had a bunch lined up there, but they were just kind of standing around like they didn't know what to do. I think this was just a product of it being the first time they have put on this race.

Disney previewed Rivers of Light for the media last night and announced a "limited-run" Jungle Book show that will premiere Memorial Day weekend and run through the summer.

Link

I wonder where the Jungle Book show will be held?

Nice. We are doing our annual Memorial weekend trip and going there on Wednesday.

Ton of news dropped today. A bunch of stuff is opening Memorial Day weekend to mid-June. Animal Kingdom will be open till 11 pm. All the new Frozen stuff opens at the Norway pavilion at Epcot. New Soarin;. I think one of the last phases of Disney Springs opens as well. The new Star Wars night show, the third track of Toy Story Midway Mania, and the new Mickey castle show at Magic Kingdom start in June as well.

Last edited:
I ran the half this weekend as well. It was the fourth Disney race I have run and the sixth one I have been at. I didn't think they had as many characters out for this run, but didn't really expect them to have the Disney characters be a part of the event. They could have had the characters dressed as their Star Wars counterparts, but I am not sure that would have totally fit in with what they envision this race being. It is a Star Wars race, not a Disney race. The only place I thought the characters they did have out could have done is a better job is as you were leaving Animal Kingdom. They had a bunch lined up there, but they were just kind of standing around like they didn't know what to do. I think this was just a product of it being the first time they have put on this race.

Was on a Disney Cruise this past January. It was the week after they did their first "Star Wars days at Sea" itinerary. One of the cast members told us that there's a lot of legal stuff going on between Disney and Lucas Film and for reasons I don't really remember, they are really starting to scale back on the amount of times Disney characters appear in Star Wars themed costumes, etc. He went as far as saying that we should buy any Disney character/Star Wars merchandise we see because after a while you won't be able to find it anymore.

He said the 'Star Wars Days at Sea' didn't go over well with the guests (at least that first week) because there was really only one Star Wars day the whole week because they weren't allowed to have all the Disney characters and do any other Disney activities. People wanted more Star Wars, but DCL is obviously more prepared to surround you with Mickey & friends.

Of course this is all just info from one CM in entertainment on a cruise ship so who knows. I've still seen plenty of merchandise with Disney characters dressed as Star Wars so who knows....

We're making meal plans tonight. We're only making a reservation for 1 night (Friday will be at Downtown Disney or at the resort and Sunday will be F&W Festival). We'll be at the MK. There's no great place to eat at MK, is there? We've done Liberty Tree and Italian before.

I'm not against taking a shuttle to another resort if there's something worth having.

Maybe walk over to the Contemporary?

I haven't done any of the nice sit down places in MK or those resorts.

I haven't done any of the nice sit down places in MK or those resorts.

The setting is great and the food is pretty good at Be Our Guest, the new place at MK. Liberty Tree Inn is okay but not too exciting. The other sit-down places at MK are pretty iffy. At the monorail resorts, Ohana and California Grill are really good.

May try to get a reservation at Be Our Guest when we go for Memorial Day. We usually get there too late to go there.

It's amazing how quickly reservations tie up.

We got California Grill. Post-race on Sunday, we're just going to find stuff at the festival.

Back