• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dispute with car dealership

Jeff Fatt

Reaction score
I took my car to the dealership for an oil change and brake fluid service about 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't ordinarily go to the dealership for that but it just came off warranty and all work has been done by the dealer and its for sale now so thought it would look better to keep it that way. Anyway in the course of the service they inform me that they found 2 oil leaks which will cost about $3,500 to repair. I tell them don't fix it. Now all of the sudden my car leaks oil on the garage floor. In the ~3 years I've had it it has never burned oil or leaked oil but it suddenly started leaking at the same time they changed the oil. I've sent a complaint to the dealership but I'm sure they will tell me it was there when I brought it in and the timing is a coincidence. Do I have any recourse or am I screwed? I'm not paying $3,500 to repair oil leaks, yet I can't sell the car when it is leaking oil. I'm thinking I'll take it to an independent place to see what they say, but I hate to waste time and money on this.

I had two oil leaks in the fuel line and it cost $280 to fix.

How old is the car? I really wonder what kind of oil leak costs $3500 to repair. And, as you imply, wouldn't it have been leaking at your house before? Sounds really fishy. I would take it somewhere else ASAP and see what they tell you. The more time you let pass after they worked on it the tougher it will be to pin it on them, if it comes to that.

Agree its pretty fishy. The car is a 2005 with 65k miles. I don't remember exactly where the leaks were (and the guy never came out to show them to me when I asked that he do so when I picked up the car). I'll get it in somewhere else and see what they find. It just seems like it will be really hard to prove they did something. But I park in the same spot at work everyday and in my garage at night and it has never leaked and suddenly does now...

Cut your current oil filter in half and look through the filtration medium. You'll find some curled metal shavings from the drillbit used to open your new oil leaks.

accuwrench in clemmons is pretty good.. id take it there.. cause the dealerships are on some bullshit

This. They do a great job, always have been happy with them. Always accurate about timing to fix. And cheaper than other places.

Honestly I do not think there is a oil leak out there that cost $3,500. You can damn near get a new engine for that price.

It probably is only a $280 part but the dealership labor is probably close to $200/hr. That is where they make their money. Well, that and suggesting to replace a whole assembly versus just the damaged part.

If I were you I would slide under the car and try to see where the leak is. They very well might not have tightened the oil plug all the way or even tightened the filter.

Definitely check the oil plug 1st. If you can figure out exactly where it is coming from (or have someone else look at it), then try tightening the oil pan bolts around that location. Don't torque them down just make sure they are snug. Next step would be to find an independent mechanic like you mentioned. One of my family members has a similar situation that you do; the dealer told him he needs a new oil pan gasket for $650.

*Most important thing!!!! Do not get under a car unless it is on jack stands or on a lift! A jack is not stable enough to keep a car from falling on you.

I'm not going to mess with it myself because I'm no mechanic and there are enough electrical components that I don't want to risk messing something up. I've contacted an independent guy I've used before and will have him take a look and see what he thinks.

Here is what the dealer says:
"Timing case covers leaking; alternator bracket seal leaking; oil leaking onto alternator and other electrical components possible damage due to oil contamination"

It is obviously leaking oil, but it wasn't before. Or at least it wasn't noticeable to me. I don't get under the hood very much but there was nothing dripping in the garage and now there very definitely is. The timing of this car springing two oil leaks is troubling to say the least.

Back