• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do atheists have to swear to God in court to testify?

Yeah I was hoping for some real-life info.

Just curiosity. Not actually related to an actual trial or deposition.

Yeah I was hoping for some real-life info.

Just curiosity. Not actually related to an actual trial or deposition.

I have no idea if this is a serious question, but I'll answer it like it is.

The answer is no. You can make an oath (religious) or affirmation (non-religious). Both have the same legal effect. The Founders were actually really concerned about forcing people to take religious oaths, which is why they included "oath or affirmation" multiple times in the Constitution.

Pretty much all presidents have added on "so help me God" to the Oath of Office, it's not part of the actual oath. John Quincy Adams and Franklin Pierce both affirmed their oath of office (Franklin Pierce put his hand on a law book rather than the Bible)

Last edited:
It was a serious question. My trial/court experience is literally tv/movies/books. Just curiosity.

I was on a jury in a civil case where two Muslim men were called to testify. They both took affirmations because they didn't want to take an oath on the bible,

The correct answer is "Not yet."

If you don't swear to god everyone will know you're lying.

No. Typically, prior to witness testimony, the bailiff will take a picture of said witnesses bhole, boobs, peen, and lady peen. If it is determined that the witness has been untruthful, the pictures are publicly displayed in the courtroom.

TITCR

Also, several state constitutions (NC among them) provide that atheists may not hold state public office. Post incorporation of the bill of rights against the states by the 14th Amendment, the SCOTUS ruled that these types of religious qualification tests violate the federal constitution.

FOR NOW. Though we finally have a godly man in the White House who can turn us from our heathen ways !

Executive order to be issued. (Right now, one may "affirm")

J38Ss4B.gif

I swear folks in often. I don't mention god, and there is no bible. Just have them raise their right hand (and tell them their other right hand when they raise their left hand) and ask, "Do you swear or affirm that the testimony you are about to give will be the truth?" You do that on the record, and that is sufficient for a later perjury charge if they lie in their testimony and you can prove it. And that's quite rare.

I swear folks in often. I don't mention god, and there is no bible. Just have them raise their right hand (and tell them their other right hand when they raise their left hand) and ask, "Do you swear or affirm that the testimony you are about to give will be the truth?" You do that on the record, and that is sufficient for a later perjury charge if they lie in their testimony and you can prove it. And that's quite rare.

Same way I have seen it done in every deposition, trial, hearing, etc.

Back