• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

John F Kennedy & Ted Kennedy were rich. Why would some people like them and dislike Mitt Romney if it was all about being envious of rich people? People didn't dislike Romney just because he was rich. There's a lot more to it than that.

First of all, I have not said one time that people only disliked Romney just because he was rich. Read my posts. I have agreed with you that there were many reason why he was disliked.

And in JFK's time, the press actually had some respect for people's private lives. Many in the press knew of Kennedy's indiscretions, but never wrote about them. While people knew of the Kennedy family wealth, it wasn't paraded in front of them on the news every night, like Romney's was. Plus, Romney said and did some very stupid things regarding his wealth that drew even more attention to it.

And Kennedy ran against a guy who during the debates on black and white TV looked like absolute hell. it was easy for Kennedy to "out-likeable" Nixon.

Shorty, why don't you like Obama?

Many Republicans see their last two presidential losses as the result of nominating stiff moderates. The Tea Party wing is trying to push the Karl Rove Republicans out by calling them RINOs. They are having some success. I don't see how Christie would be acceptable to the Tea Party.

As bad as Nixon was...and there was a time when I thought he was the most evil man alive...GWB did far more lasting damage to this country than Nixon. Far more....it isn't even close.

Have to disagree. Nixon broke democracy. He was a snake. His cabinet was filled with as bad or worse war criminals than W's. He ruined the democratic tradition, the rule of law, the norms, and the sense of decency that my generation was supposed to inherit.

GWB broke democracy, too....he just didn't get held accountable for it. He stole a presidential election, with the help of his Florida campaign manager, Katherine Harris, and her illegal purge of 57,000 registered voters. Then he orchestrated a strategy of lies to start a totally unnecessary preemptive war that resulted in 40,000 U S casualties & untold trillions of wasted tax dollars....the final totals of which will not be known until 30 years or so from now, as veteran costs from that needless war are ongoing. Then there was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfbRcedmqvY

....which was an impeachable offense by itself.

bQ2MYOl.jpg

I gotta admit, his tweets yesterday put a spring in my step.

I'm not conservative (at all), but Chris Christie is the most appealing pub candidate to me since '00 McCain.

Though I'll add that while this is a big step in a positive direction, I don't understand what compels someone to sign a bill like this and still oppose gay marriage. The logic gap confuses me. "I agree that gay people are born that way, not living immorally, and shouldn't be forced to change, but I don't want them to be married to each other."

Though I'll add that while this is a big step in a positive direction, I don't understand what compels someone to sign a bill like this and still oppose gay marriage. The logic gap confuses me. "I agree that gay people are born that way, not living immorally, and shouldn't be forced to change, but I don't want them to be married to each other."

It's trying to get votes from both sides.

Christie believes marriage is one man/one woman. He supports civil unions, apparently with full legal protections. He is a Roman Catholic, so perhaps his view on marriage is a result of his religious beliefs.

In the past Christie has said that the voters of NJ should decide if the marriage laws should be changed, not the legislature.

Back