• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do I quit or no?

Do I quit or no?

• Yes

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 74 77.1%

• Total voters

DemonDeaconz

Reaction score
I am a senior in HS and am on the school's basketball team, I have played with the same group of guys since about 6th grade and have always been one of the best ones out there. Now that everyone on that team has progressed so much (physically), I am no longer one of the best ones, but that doesn't mean I can't play the game.

Well, at the beginning of the season, I was told I had a major role on the team and would be the 6th man. Now that we are in conference play, all the games have been fairly close. I am no longer the 6th man. He now plays some sophomore kid that I honestly believe I am better than ahead of me. Our coach has no confidence in the bench and only plays six in close games.

Now one of the kids that I have always played over every year except for last year ( I was a bench warmer and didn't mind. He didn't try out) hasn't played all season due to a broken hand and was cleared to practice for the first time today. After practice coach called him in and told him that he would be playing Friday night.

So now, it is obvious that I am not liked. I haven't done anything wrong that I know of, and give 100% every play. My question is, do I stay on the team and put up with this or stand up for myself and quit?

I have tickets behind the bench of the Heat when they play in Washington, the night of Senior Night and I still am not sold on which route to take,

seeing how I am even contemplating which option to take shows how much I love the game. Please everyone who votes, give me your reasoning. I am starting to lose my passion for the game

Last edited:
Don't know about the other two voters, but definitely quit the parody. Maybe i missed it not a fan

man up and commit to the team. who wants to be that whiney douche that quits because they don't get to play? clearly you're considering it, but realize everyone will just see you as the whiney douche that quit because he didn't get to play.

maybe others think you should quit, but i just can't rationalize that childish behavior regardless of what else is going on.

Don't. Sounds like it's been too big a part of your life so far to just quit it cold turkey right before the end. Just stick through it; you'll probably regret it if you don't.

texas said what i meant way more eloquently.

Don't quit.

Have you sat down with your coach 1v1 and talked to him about your concerns?

And he isn't a parody. IIRC, he is a player for Davie HS and knows that two twins that most ACC schools have on their radar.

Yes don't quit you have invested way to much of your time to quit. It is your senior season there is not that much time left, but I would talk to your coach let him know you are a senior and this is your last go round and would like to get out there a bit.

Worst case is you might get some quality pt if your starters are blown out of the water and your coach takes them back to the locker room if fear of their safety.

Seriously, you've come too far to give up. Talk to your coach.

Yes don't quit you have invested way to much of your time to quit. It is your senior season there is not that much time left, but I would talk to your coach let him know you are a senior and this is your last go round and would like to get out there a bit.

Good advice. Take it.

You need to approach the coach in a positive, information gathering way to find out what you need to do better to earn your spot back. If he says something like be taller, etc., then maybe he truly doesn't like you (or you are not tall enough). High School is tough to figure out because a lot of those coaches are teachers are well so they have some job security, but typically the best interest of the team is the focus.

I do not mean this in a mean way at all, but is their a chance you are overestimated yourself/underestimating this other guy? I know when I was at UMD playing baseball, at the time I thought I was better than some guys but looking back, I really wasn't.

Suck it up, be a team player, and other played-out sports cliches.

Seriously, don't quit. I coach high school tennis and have faced similar situations with players. Some that worked hard for 4 years and never broke in to the top 6 and others that got there and were then replaced by someone better. A few seniors have quit because they could not accept that they simply were not as good as those in front of them. When asked to prove it, they could not do it. I don't think less of them as people, but I wouldn't write a college or job recommendation for them.

Your coach knows more about the game and the team than you do and is only doing what it takes to win. Stay with the team, be an example for the younger players, and just enjoy your last month of basketball. Keep working hard in practice and the coach will notice. It may not get you on the court, but you may need that coach in the near future to recommend you for college admissions. Dedication is important.

I tore my groin senior year in the beginning of the football season. I had a chance to come back and play for the final game of the season, but I chose to go drinking and partying w/ my friends.

I regret my decision to this day.

At this point, I think you should stay with your team. Quitting now definitely makes you look like, well, a quitter, and you'd probably burn some bridges with your coach and maybe even your friends on the team that you committed to playing with. You'll know you did the right thing down the road.

The definition and connotation of quitter is what it is for a reason. Giving up should not be an option, but since it is already an option, you may be to far gone. Just go goth.

Sorry about that, since its a real post, my real answer is not much different than the others here.

Stay with the team. Things in life aren't always going to work out exactly like you pictured, but there is value in seeing them to completion. You might not be fulfilling all the goals you set for yourself when you started out with the team, but when you look back on your experience, even 4 years from now, you will be happy you stayed on. If you quit, you might feel like you have made a moral stand against a perceived injustice, but over time, I would wager that the feeling will become more bitter than anything else.

Talk to your coach and be prepared to hear some things you don't like. You might not get the answers you want (like 7erps said.."get taller") but your coach will respect you for being a man about the situation and you will at least have a better idea about why the coach is making his decisions.

Stay with the team. You will remember your entire HS career in a much better light when you are removed from it. If you have friends on the team, they will surely treat you differently if you leave before the end of the season.

Stick it out

Back