• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do the elderly have a moral responsibility to choose suicide?

Because the other societies you speak of didn't run up a multi-trillion dollar debt in their grandchildren's name

The next couple decades should be interesting

Our debt to GDP % is pretty much in line with most 1st world countries.

My 85 year-old mother is on assisted living. I'm willing to do my part, but I'm unclear as to the process here. Whom do I call to have her put down?

If everyone took care of themselves and their families with their own resources instead of having those resources voted away from them, people could make their own decisions about living or dying. No one would feel the need to kill off your relatives to preserve their own entitlements.

On the first page of this thread, it was stated that the elderly "should not be a burden." Doesn't that already reflect a move from personal choice toward recommended if not duty?

No.

I don't think anything should be "done". This isn't a thread about mandatory euthanasia

I began this thread because I wanted to know what you folk are thinking on this issue. Thanks for expressing those thoughts.

Personally I view life as sacred and a precious gift from God. He is Lord over life and death. Therefore, I oppose suicide.
I also find it painful to think of elderly people coming down to the end of their lives and having their loved ones view their existence as a burden. That is profoundly sad. Nonetheless, not every relationship between parent and child (children) is characterized by love and care. Often that is the parent's fault. So, for better or worse, the aged will have to deal in the end with the relationships that they have nurtured over the years.

Whenever possible the elderly should have made provision so that their end of life care will not be a financial burden upon their children. I understand that love does not pay bills. Parents should lay up for their children, not the other way. The emotional and physical burden is another thing. It is a price that love extracts, hopefully willingly.

I am opposed to extraordinary means simply to sustain existence when there is no prospect of recovery. A living will is a necessity. Dr. C. Everette Koop wrote a helpful book many years ago titled The Right to live, the Right to die. I commend it highly.

I began this thread because I wanted to know what you folk are thinking on this issue. Thanks for expressing those thoughts.

Personally I view life as sacred and a precious gift from God. He is Lord over life and death. Therefore, I oppose suicide.
I also find it painful to think of elderly people coming down to the end of their lives and having their loved ones view their existence as a burden. That is profoundly sad. Nonetheless, not every relationship between parent and child (children) is characterized by love and care. Often that is the parent's fault. So, for better or worse, the aged will have to deal in the end with the relationships that they have nurtured over the years.

Whenever possible the elderly should have made provision so that their end of life care will not be a financial burden upon their children. I understand that love does not pay bills. Parents should lay up for their children, not the other way. The emotional and physical burden is another thing. It is a price that love extracts, hopefully willingly.

I am opposed to extraordinary means simply to sustain existence when there is no prospect of recovery. A living will is a necessity. Dr. C. Everette Koop wrote a helpful book many years ago titled The Right to live, the Right to die. I commend it highly.

The two bolded statements are apparently a contradiction for some folks who think that you're on a slippery slope to mandatory euthanasia.

Back