• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do they realize the damage they've done?

Assuming they do care, the next question is whether they realize how urgent things are. [Redacted] was a crushing blow to a program that was arguably at its highest point in 50 years, but I don't believe he has entirely ruined everything that Odom and Skip built. We still have two of the top five players in the NBA, if you go by last year's All-NBA team. But if we have another bad hire, another four years of irrelevance, I fear the momentum of CP3, Duncan, and all the No. 1 rankings, high seeds and first-round picks that Skip and Dino brought us will be wasted.

This is essentially my sentiment as well.

dumbass dillon fence doesn't understand how athletic success helps make a university more desirable to potential students?

dumbass dillon fence doesn't understand how athletic success helps make a university more desirable to potential students?

4 years of crappy hoops doesn't destroy a university, which is the basic premise of this thread..."the damage they have done". do you follow?

especially in a world where the cost of wake doesn't match up to the education it offers

Is getting into the top 25 again enough to reignite local interest or do we need a postseason run? Do we have to make an elite 8? Do we have to win an ACCT? If I was a casual fan I don't know if I come back. If I'm a student I'm not sure I'd get interested in the regular season unless I already follow the sport in HS. I'm sure Wake has gotten less sports fans applying in this downturn so that will have to shift.

Not sure I follow Biff's logic...I was there in the 70's and until Buzz would'nt miss a game. Football was a joke but we were immortalized in a song....so we got that going for us. Basketball was awesome and golf dominated.

Not sure I follow Biff's logic...I was there in the 70's and until Buzz would'nt miss a game. Football was a joke but we were immortalized in a song....so we got that going for us. Basketball was awesome and golf dominated.

golf lol

4 years of crappy hoops doesn't destroy a university, which is the basic premise of this thread..."the damage they have done". do you follow?

Something can be damaged, but not destroyed.

Do people in the athletic department, Wake administration, and BOT realize the damage they've done with the [Redacted] era?

Do they realize that they're responsible for the new Staak era?

Do they realize that several classes of Wake students will leave with no real allegiance to Wake sports?

Do they realize that there is far more distrust of the powers that be at Wake than there was before?

Yes, Yes, No, Yes.

They don't care. Personally, as a victim of the Staak error, I can say that it didn't matter. I loved Wake regardless.

is anyone saying that the whole school will be gone? We're just doomed to suck for a long time, at basketball. That's not great for the school, and it upsets the loyal alumni, but I don't think anyone is concerned that the school will shut down.

Something can be damaged, but not destroyed.

I think Wellman and Hatch do "realize" that there has been damage done. I just don't think their egos will allow them to accept it's extent. But the fact that this Bzaster has gone on for four years is evidence that they just don't care about whatever damage has been done.

Last edited:
They don't care. Personally, as a victim of the Staak error, I can say that it didn't matter. I loved Wake regardless.
Of course they care but they know sentiment can turn around pretty quickly the other way so it's not as urgent or detrimental as some on here choose to believe. The program isn't ruined by any means..and like you say, you were there for Staak and it really didn't matter. Not sure why we need a thread on this anyway right when they're about to change directions and everyone here knows it.

If we make a good bball hire we could be back in the thick of things shortly and the long-term damage will be minimal. If we make another bad hire it will be a disaster. Fairly simple.

this-is-the-millionth-time-we-have-successfully-created-this-thread-and-we-have-become-exceedingly-efficient-at-it.jpg

Back