• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you play to win or not to lose?

I feel like this should be a spectrum for most people. You know not to lose at first and then transition to playing to win once you've got it down. It can be dangerous to play to win when you don't know what you're doing.

Agreed on all counts. And I think it's generally important to be proficient and flexible within these different circumstances. I think more than just pigeonholing yourself into these admittedly vague categories, the positive you can take away is recognizing when a task might call for playing things more to win or not to lose.

Those are lame and half-baked attributes.

People who play to win usually understand you don't bat 1.000. They expect some things to go wring.

I'm not sure they're half baked, because whether or not you buy their utility, thet were still well developed and delineated. And I also don't think expectations of failure are out of the realm of playing to win by these classifications. If you're continually putting yourself out there creatively, you should expect and want to see changes to your input.

In all seriousness I think it is hard to neatly group these attributes but overall it is a good breakout. In my job I try to have a prevention-focused mindset for most tasks, especially compliance related tasks, and a promotion-focused mindset for miscellaneous projects. As buckets mentioned I think I will gain more of a promotion-focused mindset as I master the job.

Early in my career I had a promotion-focused mindset for all tasks. Now I am to the point where I am more prevention-focused as most people have this style in my department, and I have the mentality that maintaining good relationships with coworkers and bosses is far more important than anything else.

I'm not new to this firm, but I did recently change departments and my responsibilities have changed a lot in turn. I think managing expectations of yourself and your work is important no matter how you're playing things. I was rewarded for initiative quickly here in my new role, which has forced me out of my tried and true methodology but also given me forays into new stuff.

Agreed. When I was first learning the ropes at my company, I was definitely more cautious because I didn't have enough experience to be able to trust myself in making decisions quickly. Now that I've got things down, I'm definitely in the play-to-win camp. Move fast, break things....

I like this guy.

You said:

"I'm not sure they're half baked, because whether or not you buy their utility, thet were still well developed and delineated. And I also don't think expectations of failure are out of the realm of playing to win by these classifications. If you're continually putting yourself out there creatively, you should expect and want to see changes to your input."

They postulated:

"Plan only for best case scenarios
Seek positive feedback and lose steam without it
Feel dejected or depressed when things go wrong"

Plan for only best case scenario- is a death knell and even the most optimistic don't do this
Seek positive feedback and lose steam without it- actually winners like to prove negative people wrong.
Everyone feels "dejected and depressed when things go wrong" unless they don't care about anything.

I think their ideas were simplistic, lazy and not that accurate.

I forget where I first heard it.

• OWL: Thoughtful, mature, perfectionist, reserved, observant. Owls like thinking time, rules and routine.
• ELEPHANT: Reliable, methodical, stable, friendly and relaxed. Elephants like harmony, inclusiveness and to be appreciated.
• LION: Driving, demanding, challenging, competitive and adventurous. Lions like freedom, prestige and the chance to be in charge.
• MONKEY: Charming, inspiring, popular and trusting. Monkeys like approval, fun and company.

I'm totally a monkey. Little bit of elephant maybe, too.

I feel like this should be a spectrum for most people. You know not to lose at first and then transition to playing to win once you've got it down. It can be dangerous to play to win when you don't know what you're doing.

I feel like I play to win, and in reality I should be playing not to lose because I don't know enough about what I'm doing to play to win at this point without screwing up.

work hard and party harder, amirite?

I feel like I play to win, and in reality I should be playing not to lose because I don't know enough about what I'm doing to play to win at this point without screwing up.

Bring along someone who knows the things you don't.

The higher up you get or reach for the more they will see your fear.

Remember what people say about the prevent defense- it prevents you from winning.

Don't play to avoid losing.

Back