• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doesn’t matter; got paid?

Give me the Charter 8 where everyone plays the same football schedule and the bball round robin!

:fu:ESPN

Yeah, I definitely miss those days. The home and home in b-ball was one of the best things about the ACC.

Absolutely.
The intensity of rivalries seemed much higher then.

Do fans still camp out for tickets like some (of us) crazy fans used to do?

MD got lucky in the sense that Louisville had been a significant upgrade for the ACC up until the sanctions. Did MD ever pay the ACC the exit fee?

ACC, Maryland reach settlement on exit fee: $31.4M, not $52.2M
Steve Berkowitz, USA TODAY Sports Published 2:01 p.m. ET Aug. 8, 2014 | Updated 3:00 p.m. ET Aug. 8, 2014
maryland-campus
(Photo: Tim Dillon, USA TODAY)

CONNECT
TWEET
LINKEDIN
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE
The University of Maryland will forfeit $31.4 million for leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference to go to the Big Ten Conference, the ACC announced Friday.

Maryland and the ACC had been involved in dueling lawsuits in the states of Maryland and North Carolina over the amount of the exit fee.

During the legal battle, which began in November 2012, the ACC had been withholding Maryland's shares of conference revenue. Maryland officially became a member of the Big Ten on July 1, 2014.

In a statement Friday, the conference said that a mediated agreement will result in the conference keeping the $31,361,788 it had ultimately withheld and Maryland not having to make any further payments.

NCAA Board approves autonomy proposal

The ACC had claimed that under an agreement made by the ACC's member schools in September 2012 — an agreement Maryland voted against — Maryland owed $52.2 million for leaving.

The ACC sued Maryland in November 2012 in North Carolina to enforce the payment. Maryland initially countersued the ACC in a Maryland state court in January 2013, but in June 2013 a judge dismissed a portion of Maryland's case relating to state anti-trust law and ruled that rest of the suit should be stayed pending the outcome of the North Carolina proceeding.

In January 2014, Maryland filed a $156.8 million counter-claim against the ACC in North Carolina, alleging the conference broke its own rules in setting the exit fee, which the schools set at an amount equal to three times the ACC's operating budget at the time a school provides official notice of withdrawal.

Maryland claimed that the ACC member schools took this action without the conference and commissioner John Swofford adhering to conference rules regarding pre-vote review and notice of the proposed change. Even if the vote had been proper, Maryland alleged that under ACC rules it should not have become effective until July 1, 2013 — after Maryland announced in November 2012 its intention to leave for the Big Ten and after Maryland had provided its official notice of withdrawal in June 2013.

I never found MD's fans to be that much more obnoxious than other schools' fans, and if I remember correctly, their message board was superb.

Absolutely.
The intensity of rivalries seemed much higher then.

Do fans still camp out for tickets like some (of us) crazy fans used to do?

No they give away free chick fil a, and students still dont show up. Wake kids could give two shits about free food though.

I'm from MD, and they were always my 2nd favorite team to root for in all sports. My 2 happiest college hoops moments were when Dixon and Baxter brought them a natty and when I was in Greensboro when Chill hit the tear drop. But Yow horribly mismanaged her athletic department, and yes, they felt they had to leave for a better pay day. Since then, they've been dead to me, much like the Colts were when Irsay moved them. I still root for the MD men and women in lacrosse, but I don't watch their football or hoops teams. Needless to say, the post-Dino era of Wake hoops and MD leaving the ACC have had a yuge negative affect on my enthusiasm for college sports. Thank god for VT football and what the good Buzz and Bennett have done for VT and UVA hoops, otherwise college football and hoops would almost be dead to me.

I never found MD's fans to be that much more obnoxious than other schools' fans, and if I remember correctly, their message board was superb.

I grew up with MD football season tix. Saw all of 1 fight 1 time through the Claiborne and Ross years between an obnoxious MD fan and an obnoxious UNC fan - never saw another incident. After college, I went to several Wake @ MD hoops games dressed in Wake gear and never had a problem. Yes, they're yankees, but they're far from being 1 of the worst fan bases. I've always considered State to have the most obnoxious and delusional fan base of the ACC schools. And after seeing the Penn St fan base at UVA during the scandal, I consider them and the WVU fan base to be the worst I've seen.

Moneywise, Maryland is much better off in the Big Ten than in the ACC just because of the Big Ten network. Like it or not, Maryland is in a better place and with more research institutions.

Updated Feb 2, 2018, 10:19am EST Per SB Nation:
•SEC: $40.9 million
•Big Ten: $34.8 million for teams getting full shares
•Big 12: also right about $34.8 million
•Pac-12: about $29 million
•ACC: something like $27 million

Sometimes they get more, like in the case of Maryland, which once was fronted extra money from the Big Ten to cover an exit fee it had to pay when it departed the ACC. It’s all bureaucratic and complicated.

The Big Ten is coming for the SEC’s spot, though.

The B1G announced dueling new TV deals with broadcast partners ABC/ESPN and Fox in the summer of 2017. Those deals are worth a reported $2.64 billion to the league, and schools are expecting that they’re going to get way more money as a result. That’s a huge TV deal even by the standards of generally huge college sports TV deals. Most of the money in the deal is for football, though there’s a basketball component.

I'm from MD, and they were always my 2nd favorite team to root for in all sports. My 2 happiest college hoops moments were when Dixon and Baxter brought them a natty and when I was in Greensboro when Chill hit the tear drop. But Yow horribly mismanaged her athletic department, and yes, they felt they had to leave for a better pay day. Since then, they've been dead to me, much like the Colts were when Irsay moved them. I still root for the MD men and women in lacrosse, but I don't watch their football or hoops teams. Needless to say, the post-Dino era of Wake hoops and MD leaving the ACC have had a yuge negative affect on my enthusiasm for college sports. Thank god for VT football and what the good Buzz and Bennett have done for VT and UVA hoops, otherwise college football and hoops would almost be dead to me.

A lie that MD fans continue to use to prop up a bad decision. The facilities upgrades that Maryland fans pushed for and Debbie made happen were not supported by their fan's dollars and they use that as a crutch to make it sound like moving out was their only move.

Good riddance to Maryland and the their trash fans.

Remember Sheyerface thread?

scheyer-face-and-friend.jpg

That might be the single best thread in the history of college message boards. The end game where the guy got the picture with Scheyer AND made face is nothing short of unbelievable.

Is that thread still available anywhere?

I vaguely remember being close to tears over that thread. At one point, didn't the guy post scheyerfaces all over the hotel or even have a briefcase of them delivered to scheyer's room?

Back