• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dollarshaveclub.com

ONW

Reaction score
Is this a joke, a marketing ploy, or a real company? The bald pawnshop guy is on every 23 minutes.

I just can't imagine how sending a razor a month to a location after spending a million dollars on advertising is profitable.

Last edited:
Real company. Just by the blades directly from Dorco though.

Yeah, that's a real name.

Bill Burr has been reading ads for them for a while on his podcast. For a while the Dollarshaveclub ads included another product they sell, One Wipe Charlies - buttwipes for men. :wtf:

Mike and Mike in the morning does it all the time as well.

Is this a joke, a marketing ploy, or a real company? The bald pawnshop guy is on every 23 minutes.

I just can't imagine how sending a razor a month to a location after spending a million dollars on advertising is profitable.

It makes a shit ton of money

I tried it but didn't find the blades to be very good.

It makes a shit ton of money

I don't think they have yet (off of the subscription services anyway/consumers), but they have received some srs investment monies, if that counts.

It's all about that growth and user acquisition right now, and trying to position themselves to provide other mens products besides the razors.

I tried it but didn't find the blades to be very good.

I reordered with Dorco, blades took longer to arrive than I planned (free shipping), so I got blades for my old Gillette Fusion handle- there is a huge difference, both in quality and cost. Not sure which way the scale tips though.

Been with them for some time now....switched from the 3 blade to 5 blade versions a few months back and now get a much closer shave....for $9 every other month I'm saving $$$, even when compared to buying at a military exchange.

I think it's a little dumb and gimmicky. If the point is to save money, why not go the safety razor route where you can get blades super cheap? The most expensive ones I get come out to about $.50/blade and most are about .$20/blade and are great quality.

I think it's a little dumb and gimmicky. If the point is to save money, why not go the safety razor route where you can get blades super cheap? The most expensive ones I get come out to about $.50/blade and most are about .$20/blade and are great quality.

It's also about convenience.

It's also about convenience.

Probably true.

But really, it takes me about 5 minutes for two passes every time I shave with probably another minute of razor maintenance. Order 50 blades at a time and I don't think there's a big difference in convenience with a big difference in quality.

I reordered with Dorco, blades took longer to arrive than I planned (free shipping), so I got blades for my old Gillette Fusion handle- there is a huge difference, both in quality and cost. Not sure which way the scale tips though.

I use Dorco as well with the 3 blader. The razor might be a 7 on a scale of 10 with Gillette being the 10. So what if I have to make a 2nd pass as I usually do this anyway. I just can't stomach what Gillette and others continue to charge.

They aren't profitable, but got a ton of investment money with the mandate to expand their user see through aggressive marketing as much as possible with the expectation that more money would be available if they are cash trapped but growing.

They won't be successful on the dollar blades that are super thin margin and even at scale won't be very exciting -- their whole future is based on successful upsell and cross sell where they do make nice margins. So expect a ton of new non-shaving addons like the buttwipes in the future.

Source: my old boss works for a Vc firm that put a bunch of monies into them

They aren't profitable, but got a ton of investment money with the mandate to expand their user see through aggressive marketing as much as possible with the expectation that more money would be available if they are cash trapped but growing.

They won't be successful on the dollar blades that are super thin margin and even at scale won't be very exciting -- their whole future is based on successful upsell and cross sell where they do make nice margins. So expect a ton of new non-shaving addons like the buttwipes in the future.

Source: my old boss works for a Vc firm that put a bunch of monies into them

Sounds like the .com days of old.

Back