• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Impeachment

I guess I should have technically used a word other than constitutional or omitted it entirely.

Regardless, the crux of my statement remains the same. Each Senator will take an oath to act as an impartial juror.

Likely Senate Impeachment Rules (drafted for Johnson and updated for Watergate and Clinton)

Form of oath to be administered to the Members of the Senate and the Presiding Officers sitting in the trial of impeachments

"I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of ------ ------, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God.''

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/senaterules.htm

What stops Mitch from changing the rules again?

Why are some of you people so upset about the trial in the senate ? You knew going into this thing it was over before it began.

I thought the Senate GOP would ignore witnesses, not that they just wouldn't have witnesses at all.

Isn't that depressing to you?

On its face, yes. But it's like planning a big trip to Chick-fil-A and then getting there and being depressed that they don't have hamburgers. You knew it was going to happen this way before you got in the car.

WTF is with those emperor penguins behind the snowman. Penguins are exclusively a southern hemispheric family of birds, they have nothing to do with Christmas. They should use Puffins, or Skuas or something geographically appropriate.

WTF is with those emperor penguins behind the snowman. Penguins are exclusively a southern hemispheric family of birds, they have nothing to do with Christmas. They should use Puffins, or Skuas or something geographically appropriate.

Snowmen, on the other hand, are not geographically limited to northern climes.

On its face, yes. But it's like planning a big trip to Chick-fil-A and then getting there and being depressed that they don't have hamburgers. You knew it was going to happen this way before you got in the car.

No. It's like planning a big trip to Chick-fil-A and they don't even have a menu.

A much better analogy would be like showing up to the Georgia-South Carolina game and being depressed they didn't bother to play the game because everybody knew UGA was going to win.

No. It's like planning a big trip to Chick-fil-A and they don't even have a menu.

Frame it however you like, everyone knows they don't have hamburgers and bitching about it seems pretty useless at that point.

A much better analogy would be like showing up to the Georgia-South Carolina game and being depressed they didn't bother to play the game because everybody knew UGA was going to win.

That's accurate that they play the game under the prescribed rules but there are plenty of upsets in college sports. This impeachment proceeding, as currently positioned, has no chance and everyone knows it. And they've known it from the beginning. So, the democrats, while earnestly fulfilling their "constitutional duty" were always playing politics too.

That's accurate that they play the game under the prescribed rules but there are plenty of upsets in college sports. This impeachment proceeding, as currently positioned, has no chance and everyone knows it. And they've known it from the beginning. So, the democrats, while earnestly fulfilling their "constitutional duty" were always playing politics too.

Tell that to Junebug. He's the one that bet that the Senate would actually remove the President from office.

And tell Brad, who for some reason gets his little 2-inch killer all excited thinking about President Pence.

Or the Dems finally just said F it, it’s the right thing to do even if there’s a 99.9 percent chance of failure in the senate (only chance really being if something worse gets discovered in the process).

Of course they would only come to that point if they were reasonably sure the risk/benefit calculation for impeachment was favorable for them.

But yes, many folks like myself were unenthusiastic about impeachment because of the near certainty the Pubs wouldn’t join in (thus continuing their failing) and the Senate would not convict (or whatever is the right word). And the risk that in the end Trump may emerge strengthened.

Back