• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Trump and the GOP, I Want my Party Back

I would not be shocked to hear that Ryan and other top Republicans in Congress are silently praying for Trump to fuck up and impeach him. They have a dream RWer as VP and could put another RWer in as VP behind him. First of all, most of them hate Trump. They know he's dangerous, lazy and incompetent. Secondly, many people would say they are putting the country over party to put out one of their own. This would play well in the middle of the country.

Watch out, I agree with RJ on this one. And I think it could very well be some form of campaign finance issues that make it happen.

I'm with bkf on this one. The writer of that article and other "true conservatives" who believe they have had their party stolen either need to take their party back or STFU.

3 republican senators and 24 representatives could neuter Trump's agenda and the far right's agenda. That's less than 10% of republican congressmen.

If the center right still exists it will negotiate a favorable compromise with Dems and block all the crazy far right shit in exchange for dem support on center/center-right shit.

Not going to happen though. This is the logical progression of "center-right" politics of the last 20 years

Watch out, I agree with RJ on this one. And I think it could very well be some form of campaign finance issues that make it happen.

If that happens, every incumbent Republican in a gerrymandered district will get boatraced in the next primary. The pitchforks will be out in rural America unless Pence can ram through some draconian social legislation.

Well, there is nothing wrong with a person's views evolving over time.

The point was that Coach O didn't understand that he was reading a link and assumed that what was in the link was something that you were saying.

Nope. I understood. Thanks.

If a pub had run on the OP's platform he would have lost in a landslide.

If a pub had run on the OP's platform he would have lost in a landslide.

Yes. Running on conservative principles is a losing proposition.

Yes. Running on conservative principles is a losing proposition.

True. Conservatives complaining that Trump stole their party but people did not want what they are selling. They did want what Trump is selling which is some kind of hybrid of conservative, liberal, and nationalism.

If conservative want to get back their power they will need to find a version of it that people actually want. They may want to leave off the neocon and social conservative portion.

True. Conservatives complaining that Trump stole their party but people did not want what they are selling. They did want what Trump is selling which is some kind of hybrid of conservative, liberal, and nationalism.

If conservative want to get back their power they will need to find a version of it that people actually want. They may want to leave off the neocon and social conservative portion.
Trump and his cabinet are very socially conservative, that's why they carried evangelicals by 95%, a much higher percentage than Hillary carries any ethnic minority group.

Trump and his cabinet are very socially conservative, that's why they carried evangelicals by 95%, a much higher percentage than Hillary carries any ethnic minority group.

This isn't entirely untrue. The only part of the conservative message voters really rejected was the economic part.

This isn't entirely untrue. The only part of the conservative message voters really rejected was the economic part.
They only rejected the globalism aspect of Republican laissez faire economics, the rest of the deal is straight out of the playbook.

No way. They were all about spending on infrastructure and entitlements.
Privatizing infrastructure improvements through tax incentives for contracted private businesses. Which entitlements? I haven't heard about any planned entitlement spending.

Trump is pro gay marriage as well. He is not religious at all. He is not a social conservative

Trump is pro gay marriage as well. He is not religious at all. He is not a social conservative
This is false. Trump has said many times before believes gay marriage should be left up to the states. Attempting to portray Trump's views as moderate is ridiculous and blatantly strategic. He is not moderate.

Rather than take the word of conservative talking heads, or continue a discussion with straight people, you should read LGBTQ sources about how they interpret Trump's political agenda based on his promises, his cabinet picks, and the group's he supports

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/09/donald-trump-pledges-sign-anti-lgbtq-first-amendment-defense-act/

Back