• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore Hiring an Agent, Entering NBA Draft

because one side makes sense to him and the other does not

because one side makes sense to him and the other does not

If that is the only thing that matters, then a whole lot of griping on these boards need to go away.

Because keeping Danny Manning as Wake's basketball coach apparently makes sense to Ron Wellman, and letting him go does not. Wellman's vote is the one that matters most. He is Danny's boss.

If you don't need to ask questions to one side why do you feel the need to ask questions to the other?

You seriously don't see the difference? Why question Doral? He's not even here to respond. He is the only person in this situation with all of the relevant info. The rest of you are just a bunch of posters on the internet.

Do you have anything to offer to support "Doral made a great decision to leave Wake at this time"

I don't know if he made a great decision. I think maybe he should stay, but I'm well aware that I have very little information to base that on. The assurance of those who "know better" is funny.

Last edited:
If that is the only thing that matters, then a whole lot of griping on these boards need to go away.

Because keeping Danny Manning as Wake's basketball coach apparently makes sense to Ron Wellman, and letting him go does not. Wellman's vote is the one that matters most. He is Danny's boss.

that's not how message boards work. welcome to the internet sally.

You seriously don't see the difference? Why question Doral? He's not even here to respond. He is the only person in this situation with all of the relevant info. The rest of you are just a bunch of posters on the internet.

I don't know if he made a great decision. I think maybe he should stay, but I'm well aware that I have very little information to base that on. The assurance of those who "know better" is funny.

1. No. Because a lot of the people saying he should have left are saying it's because of Manning or losing, not money (and saying it with certainty). Which if you haven't noticed is also pure speculation.

2. I completely agree with the latter half of your post.

1. No. Because a lot of the people saying he should have left are saying it's because of Manning or losing, not money (and saying it with certainty). Which if you haven't noticed is also pure speculation.

2. I completely agree with the latter half of your post.

Who is saying Moore should have left? Quotes please.

Poor wording on my part to use should leave. Only meant people speculating about the reasoning for his leaving. Would you like quotes for that though? Can provide.

Poor wording on my part to use should leave. Only meant people speculating about the reasoning for his leaving. Would you like quotes for that though? Can provide.

No, I don't need quotes for that. I'm glad you acknowledge there's a huge difference between what you said and what you meant.

No, I don't need quotes for that. I'm glad you acknowledge there's a huge difference between what you said and what you meant.

It makes me very happy that you are happy, Ph.

The point still remains, it's speculation by all parties.

Seem to be in the minority here but can't blame him. Maybe he was ready to be out of school and getting paid to play. Not very often you see a 4 year center get drafted due to potential. Hell take a look at this year's draft, pretty much freshmen big men only at the top. Not sure where he will end up, will be interested to see. Definitely stings to lose him but I'm not gonna bash the kid for leaving a dumpster fire to go try and make some money, no matter whether it ends up being the right choice or not.

Best of luck to him. Certainly can't blame him for simultaneously chasing a dream and jumping off the Titanic.

It wouldn’t surprise me, to be honest with you. The earlier you keep your name in, the more exposure that you have to teams that’ll be drafting later (and who are playing through the exit date).

For those of y’all who are saying that this is a horrible decision:

1) he started for a team that went 11-20 and doesn’t appear to have much of a shot at being a whole lot better. Basketball should be fun and this year didn’t look fun.

2) if he regresses as a senior (which could happen on a team with even less established guard play), then he’s a year older and has nothing to build on. This might be as good as it gets developmentally for him.

3) he’s likely close to graduating. It won’t be hard to finish his degree.

Love how so many of you are assuming Doral is sum simple-minded dumbass who doesn't value education or appreciate WFU. If he was smart enough and worked hard enough to get to this point, why couldnt he be on the verge of graduating? And who the hell are you people to say he’s making a bad decision when you dont know everything he knows about his own damn situation??

Sick of this holier than thou, I know better than “negative” (ahem its called fucking realism) fan lot who think the more pragmatic assessment of things equates to enjoying this never-ending sink hole descent of a once storied program. Let it play out and then judge if you must. But aside from the immediacy of Doral’s decision maybe a few of you ought start seeing the damn forest thru the trees. After all, you were ostensibly smart enough to attend Wake Forest.

Doral will be fine, regardless of his draft status. He will have a degree to fall back on.

y'all know that - to a 21 year old - being a student-athlete at an honest and not-super-successful institution like Wake can be a terrible experience, right? balancing top-20whatever academic work and athletic commitments leaves precious little time for all the fun time we all got to have getting drunk and acting foolish as hell. just from what i've heard: early morning practices, required tutoring and study hall sessions, drug testing, required community involvement, media obligations ... some of these kids don't have the character of a student body president and immediately cramming them into that mold the week they step foot on campus can produce some crazy dissonance.

unless they're dead set on getting a degree, I'd imagine a 21-year-old is going to bolt for a pro offer ASAP.

It's not actually a bad decision, it's a bad data collection and probability assessment of the outcome of the decision. Also whether or not it's a bad decision depends on what Doral's objectives are, which we don't know.

Is there any objective post-hoc measurement on whether he made a good decision? To me playing 50 games in turkey and making a $100k is >>>>> then going 15-15 at Wake but i guess we’ll never know what would have happened had he stayed.

Would he have gotten better if he stayed? Sure probably. I guess my point is that he made a really big leap this year and people will project further growth and improvement based on that trajectory. If he went back to wake and that growth/improvement didn’t happen (or got overshadowed by a shitty team) he would be less attractive for NBA/Gleague/eurobasket whatever.

Doral will play professional basketball next year and make pretty good money doing so.

He may not get drafted, but it wouldn't be outrageous to see a team take a later flyer on him in the end of the second round.

I agree he has a lot of work to do, however, I think he's equally if not better suited to do so not at Wake. Leaving Wake without a degree isn't the end of the world he can always come back if basketball doesn't work out.

Not surprising to see people looking down on Doral though on here at all.

At first blush, this struck me as a terrible idea. But if he’s going to end up at the G League level regardless of whether he comes back, it is at least defensible to get the process started now.

Moore is not leaving Wake Forest early because he thinks he can make a good living in Turkey.

He wants to play in the NBA.

It makes me very happy that you are happy, Ph.

The point still remains, it's speculation by all parties.

You don't hear one side writing him off by saying that he's doomed to be a gym teacher (whatever that is meant to imply), though. One side has been calling the kid and his family stupid, maligning the decision, etc. I'm a fan of letting 18 year olds make decisions for themselves because they're, you know, like, adults. When you're 7'1 and one of those decisions is to play professional basketball after a breakout ACC season, then that's just not particularly controversial in my book.

You don't hear one side writing him off by saying that he's doomed to be a gym teacher (whatever that is meant to imply), though. One side has been calling the kid and his family stupid, maligning the decision, etc. I'm a fan of letting 18 year olds make decisions for themselves because they're, you know, like, adults. When you're 7'1 and one of those decisions is to play professional basketball after a breakout ACC season, then that's just not particularly controversial in my book.

Yeah and that's completely fair. I am only specifically pointing out that people have been speculating that he's leaving based on him hating Manning or Wake Forest or something else of that nature.

I'm not going to chastise him for his decision whatsoever. I disagree with it, but if he wants to go make some money I can't really blame him. The only thing I said regarding his decision is that he prioritizes basketball over academics, which is not intended to be an insult at all. I would argue most kids in the NCAA care more about their respective sport than academics at this point.

Except he said everything is speculation. Which means both sides if I'm not mistaken.

Let me sum it up:

1) I think the self-assured, "daddy knows best," comments regarding Doral are silly and bordering on offensive in some cases. He is a grown ass man making decisions about his career with input from Manning, his family, agents, and team representatives. We know very little about his desires, the advice he has been given, his reasons for making his decision, etc. He's an amateur student making decisions about his career. He does not answer to me or you.

2) Questioning and speculating about Wellman and the professionals that Wellman contracts to run our program for millions upon millions of dollars is quite a bit different. As alums, donors, and ticket holders, they do answer to me and you at some level. They are paid professionals who should be held to a standard of excellence.

Let me sum it up:

1) I think the self-assured, "daddy knows best," comments regarding Doral are silly and bordering on offensive in some cases. He is a grown ass man making decisions about his career with input from Manning, his family, agents, and team representatives. We know very little about his desires, the advice he has been given, his reasons for making his decision, etc. He's an amateur student making decisions about his career. He does not answer to me or you.

2) Questioning and speculating about Wellman and the professionals that Wellman contracts to run our program for millions upon millions of dollars is quite a bit different. As alums, donors, and ticket holders, they do answer to me and you at some level. They are paid professionals who should be held to a standard of excellence.

I agree with both of these things. Some comments have gone over the top. I'm only asking why it's okay to speculate without any factual evidence about this being about Manning rather than just wanting to start a professional career? Just because they're getting paid? Speculating to the point of insult on both sides seems to be in bad practice to me, but this is a message board.

On another related note, it is in Wake's best interest to have Doral leave as a student in good standing at the end of this semester.
Also, Doral has put in at least half the attendance he needed in the semester. He apparently tossed that away by not continuing to go to class and finishing the semester.

On another related note, it is in Wake's best interest to have Doral leave as a student in good standing at the end of this semester.
Also, Doral has put in at least half the attendance he needed in the semester. He apparently tossed that away by not continuing to go to class and finishing the semester.

I am legitimately curious how everyone thinks he is going to get a degree or will be in good academic standing with the university if he hasn’t been back on campus since the season ended. Could he just withdraw from classes, and not get the academic hit? I didn’t think it worked like that.

The same way anybody goes back to college after they’ve been away for awhile.

I would imagine he would withdraw.

Back