• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

This injury narrative is ridiculous. Dortch has been healthy enough. He doesn't have a chronically punctured small intestines and missing a game or two with a minor hand injury is no big deal.

Redshirt freshman year
Freshman year
Half of Soph year (I seriously doubt he was at wake second semester)

And as mentioned above, they take Summer School so they can take fewer courses during the year.

My point stands

You don't know if he went to class this Spring.

Yes, you take fewer classes in the regular year, but it also means he's at least even with this three year classmates and on target to graduate.

I am opening a can of worms with this, but screw it.

I disagree that there wasn't much more he could do to improve his draft stock over the next two season. He could have put on more muscle in the weight room; he could have put out more tape showcasing his play making ability; he could have improved his punt return and kick return numbers; he could have shown a sustained history of success against different defenses; he could have tape of himself beating first or second round prospects; he could have another year or two of knowledge to apply in team interviews; he could be an all american WR, rather than just PR or all-purpose. Reading the scout's takes on him, it wasn't just his size they were concerned about, the small sample size hurt as well.

We can still wish the guy the best of luck, while at the same time think he jumped too early. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I am opening a can of worms with this, but screw it.

I disagree that there wasn't much more he could do to improve his draft stock over the next two season. He could have put on more muscle in the weight room; he could have put out more tape showcasing his play making ability; he could have improved his punt return and kick return numbers; he could have shown a sustained history of success against different defenses; he could have tape of himself beating first or second round prospects; he could have another year or two of knowledge to apply in team interviews; he could be an all american WR, rather than just PR or all-purpose. Reading the scout's takes on him, it wasn't just his size they were concerned about, the small sample size hurt as well.

We can still wish the guy the best of luck, while at the same time think he jumped too early. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I don't think this is wrong. Still surprised he did not get drafted and think he will likely make it..

RE:Sample Size -the #1 pick was only a starter at QB for one year. The #15 pick (third QB) was a QB with only one year as a start. Also his sample size was due to injury. Why wouldn't a little guy the opposition is keying on expect not to get hurt?

No matter how long he spends in the weight room, he isn't likely to become taller.

What if teams double him and his numbers go down?

Dortch can play in college for another 5 years and not improve his draft stock because he's 5'7" and not that fast. Catching 80 balls a year when you're the obvious best option isn't that big of a deal when the offense is designed around you. Dortch will catch on if he can prove he has the ability to return kicks at the NFL level without fumbling and project as a servicable 5th receiver in a year or so. It was going to be the same story next year. Dortch is like Philly Brown, but four inches shorter.

Not familiar enough with professional football, but is there a real possibility that Greg Dortch, as good as he was, has played his last game of serious football? In basketball, any good high Division 1 player can hook on with a pro team somewhere. The downside risk of going pro early in football seems exponentially more severe.

If Dortch knew he would not get drafted, do you think he would have left? I don't. I think he made a tough decision, and I agree with TC he could have improved his draft stock. Wish him the best and hope to buy his jersey someday.

The Jets signed one other FA WR, Jeff Smith from BC. They also signed RB Jailin Moore of App. If Dortch does well in fielding kicks, he'll stick.

The Jets signed one other FA WR, Jeff Smith from BC. They also signed RB Jailin Moore of App. If Dortch does well in fielding kicks, he'll stick.

Jeff Smith started out as a QB at BC. Transitioned to a receiver as a sophomore. He has wheels.

Football players are on campus for the summer session before they start their freshman year and then attend at least the second session every year they're in school. They generally take 12 hours in the fall and then (from my experience) around 15 hours in the spring. I don't know if they're taking two summer school courses each summer, but if they are then they're a few hours ahead of the normal student without even counting the first summer session (which some attend as well).

RE:Sample Size -the #1 pick was only a starter at QB for one year. The #15 pick (third QB) was a QB with only one year as a start. Also his sample size was due to injury. Why wouldn't a little guy the opposition is keying on expect not to get hurt?

No matter how long he spends in the weight room, he isn't likely to become taller.

What if teams double him and his numbers go down?

There are not as many QBs as WRs

Jeff Smith started out as a QB at BC. Transitioned to a receiver as a sophomore. He has wheels.
Yeah, he also murdered Wake last season (which isn't saying much).

There are not as many QBs as WRs

But the difference between being a QB in college and in the NFL is greater than the difference between being a WR in college and the NFL. Additionally, QB is a much more important position to the team. You'd need more experience to have seen and done more.

But the difference between being a QB in college and in the NFL is greater than the difference between being a WR in college and the NFL. Additionally, QB is a much more important position to the team. You'd need more experience to have seen and done more.

WRs are a dime a dozen.

according to this site, he returned a grand total of one kickoff (for 9 yards, as a sophomore) and zero punts in his time at BC

he is a talented receiver, or at least he looked talented vs. WF

Yeah, you're right. I knew theygot him the ball on end-arounds and a few runs (where he did pretty well, btw) and for some reason equated that to kick returns.

Back