• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Draft Ben Sutton Jr. For AD

Both Notre Dame and WVU hired AD's with no collegiate athletics administration experience. Oliver Luck and Jack Swarbrick

Let's NOT repeat the same shitty process that got us into this mess. No legitimate search and hiring of cronies.

The LAST thing we need to do is draft more people based upon a "hunch".

Good for them. But I'm guessing those guys bring more to the table than media savvy and alumni connections that the OP suggested.

I put this in the camp of those clowns who think Chill or Rusty should be head coach some day.

That'll look really good for a school that is already a laughingstock...nepotism at its finest

Good for them. But I'm guessing those guys bring more to the table than media savvy and alumni connections that the OP suggested.

I put this in the camp of those clowns who think Chill or Rusty should be head coach some day.

Well, IIRC, Swarbrick was a lawyer and an agent while Luck ran Houston's athletics facilities so I think they were hired for general business savvy and administrative skills, tangential experience, and their alumni connections. Not far off the Sutton suggestion in other words.

Well, IIRC, Swarbrick was a lawyer and an agent while Luck ran Houston's athletics facilities so I think they were hired for general business savvy and administrative skills, tangential experience, and their alumni connections. Not far off the Sutton suggestion in other words.

Yeah, Oliver Luck was the GM of the Houston Dynamo immediately before WVU, and before being a GM he was the commissioner of NFL Europe. That's quite a bit of sports managerial experience.

I'm almost positive Sutton is making way more money with IMG then we could try to pay him to be AD and he'd probably rather keep running his business, since you know, he's good at that.

My argument is that someone who knows Wake, who knows sports marketing, who knows new media, who knows the program, who knows management, who knows giving meets any critieria for an AD better than someone who who has grown up through the sports management business. We want real change. Let's go for real change. We want incremental change, give it to a safe choice. I just don't like safe choices.

The obvious choice IMO is the KState AD. I'd be confident we'd be successful again in the 2 major sports almost immediately.

Would he want to come back to Wake?

Would he want to come back to Wake?

Ben has all the financial success that he needs. He might take the AD job if he felt he could make a real difference. Ben is results oriented entrepreneur. He would shake things up. He also has meaningful working relationships with most of the relevant athletic departments in the country. I would prefer him to be the next ACC commissioner, but would be ok with him as AD if he were chosen.

Given Ben's position in sports and as a trustee, his public support of Bz is his required position. We should not try to analyze his position based on public comments. More than anything, Ben is pro Wake Forest.

I already came up with 2 better suggestions earlier today: Jim Sterk from San Diego State, or Joel Nielson from Kent State

Jim Sterk was not so great at WSU. He was very fortunate to pull Dick Bennett, but he made some really bad decisions for the football program.

Ben has all the financial success that he needs. He might take the AD job if he felt he could make a real difference. Ben is results oriented entrepreneur. He would shake things up. He also has meaningful working relationships with most of the relevant athletic departments in the country. I would prefer him to be the next ACC commissioner, but would be ok with him as AD if he were chosen.

Given Ben's position in sports and as a trustee, his public support of Bz is his required position. We should not try to analyze his position based on public comments. More than anything, Ben is pro Wake Forest.

I was talking about Currie.

I think we just assume anybody who has roots at MSD and could get a job there would want to come back. That's not always the case.

Back