• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Driving advice from DC to parts of NY north of the city

CDeacMan

Ishmael Smith
Reaction score
So I'm driving to a wedding in some place called Fishkill, NY (about 70 miles north of NYC) this weekend from DC, and I'm trying to figure out what the best route would be. Google maps has a few suggestions involving I-95 or the NJ turnpike because it would be less miles, but I'm wondering if just by-passing all the metropolitan areas of Baltimore, Philly, and the outskirts of NYC and going like I-83 to I-81 to I-84 wouldn't be the best option. Anyone have an experience with a similar trip? Thanks

Don't know the specifics of the route, but I greatly prefer 81 and 83 to 95. Especially north of Virginia.

Don't take 95 or anything that puts you on 206. Take the NJTP or 81 (to 84 or 78/287).

you can take 95 to the NJ Turnpike. go on the Turnpike to Exit 10 Metuchen - 287 N

stay on 287 N and look for signs for 87 N. this will take you into NY.

you will get off 87 N at Exit 17 - this is 84 E(this exit is used for the New England area).

just stay on 84 E, think it is Exit 13 for Fishkill.

you can always check this out on a map. used to live up there for a while.

I go up Rte 13 but it is a shorter route for me from Tidewater.

i used to drive from white plains to DC to see those little fags i'm friends with all the time.

the best way is to take the NJ turnpike to the garden state parkway (exit 11, i believe). in your case, from there you should take 287 w (either w or s, whichever way is NOT to the tappan zee bridge) to 87 n (ny state thruway). hop on 84 e and cross the newburgh bridge and you'll be right there.

the worst thing you can do is cross the GW bridge. you'll hit DC-style traffic

Last edited:
you can take 95 to the NJ Turnpike. go on the Turnpike to Exit 10 Metuchen - 287 N

you will get off 87 N at Exit 17 - this is 84 E(this exit is used for the New England area).

this also works, and you would have less of a risk of hitting any traffic, but 287 n will take you well west of where you need to be to get to 87. the GS parkway cuts that western portion off.

287 will let you get to 87 which is the Thruway.

used to live right next to Fishkill.

he can hit the Garden State Pkway from Exit 11 as you mention.

didn't like stopping for the many tolls on the Garden State Parkway. there will only be 1 on the Thruway. another one on 84 and a $1 on the Newburgh bridge.

if he does 81, he can hit 84 E in Scranton, PA

Last edited:
Can't really add which way to go but really don't take the GW bridge. You will sit forever.

What time are you leaving?

The Baltimore traffic won't be bad regardless, at least before the tunnels. So there is that, which is nice. But of course there's still the Jersey/Philly/DC bullshit to deal with

What time are you leaving?

The Baltimore traffic won't be bad regardless, at least before the tunnels. So there is that, which is nice. But of course there's still the Jersey/Philly/DC bullshit to deal with

Not working that day, so totally flexible in the leaving time. Only concern is I don't want to get there too early, because most of my friends aren't getting in until fairly late. But that is what bars are for so not a big deal.

Looking at this route on Google - what are we talking about with the tolls? Is it just a couple of bucks here and there or is it like major bend-me-over midwest turnpike type rates where it's like $10-$12 to use their precious roads?

no, those tolls on the Pkwy were like $.35 or sumthin a few yrs ago. was just annoying having to stop.
believe there were about 3 of em on the Pkwy. if you go that rte.

the ones I mentioned using are relatively inexpensive as well. nothing over $5, don't think it was even that much.

if you are looking for places for victuals.

Romanelli's has good Italian food. you just head up Rt 9 N towards Wappingers Falls. there is a Hannaford grocery store on the right hand side, Romanelli's is in front of it. there is also a good Chinese place right behind this same Hannaford. it is roughly 5 miles from Fishkill.

also, some good Thai and Indian restaurants in the Village of Fishkill on Rt. 52.

Back