• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Driving to Winston today

ATLDeac

Reaction score
Leaving ATL around 1. Will traffic on 77N out of Charlotte be horrific around 4:30/5? Or should I take 85 and go via Lexington?

Thanks

Leaving ATL around 1. Will traffic on 77N out of Charlotte be horrific around 4:30/5? Or should I take 85 and go via Lexington?

Thanks

In my opinion you are fucked either way.

I77 will have issues around the lake area.

They are doing construction throughout the Concord area on I85, which slows down traffic.

I would probably just check google maps or your gps right before you get to Charlotte to see which way to go.

In my experience if you leave at 1, you'll hit a little traffic after the 77 bypass but you should be ok. Really much better to leave at 12...

Also be forewarned they are doing surveying/preliminary construction at the 77/40 intersection. I dont think it'll that badly impact traffic, but just know its going on.

Also be forewarned they are doing surveying/preliminary construction at the 77/40 intersection. I dont think it'll that badly impact traffic, but just know its going on.

Yesterday it wasn't bad and didn't affect me.

Yeah, don't take 85. Also you could take 485 instead of 77 through Charlotte.

Alright, sounds like 485 to 77 is my best bet. Thanks for the advice and the tags.

485 to 77 is def the way to go. Used to take me 5 hours to get to Winston, now it takes me 4.5 hours or less. Got there in 4 hours 19 mins once w/ no traffic and no pee break.

485 to 77 is def the way to go. Used to take me 5 hours to get to Winston, now it takes me 4.5 hours or less. Got there in 4 hours 19 mins once w/ no traffic and no pee break.

In other words, the wife/gf stayed home that trip.

I always take 321 from Gastonia to Hickory then I-40 into Winston. Bypasses Charlotte completely.

I was just typing this out of my phone. Do this. You'll avoid 77 completely, because with 485 you still come out on Exit 21, which is right where the Friday afternoon clusterfuck starts. Take 321 North to 40 East in Hickory, and prosper.

Last edited:
I always take 321 from Gastonia to Hickory then I-40 into Winston. Bypasses Charlotte completely.

This is the answer. Turned my Atlanta friends onto it while I was in school. Adds 5 minutes according to Google maps, but can save up to an hour depending on traffic/wrecks/etc through Charlotte.

I would probably just check google maps or your gps right before you get to Charlotte to see which way to go.

If you insist on coming through Charlotte, this is the answer.

321 has fucked me over once, I will try it again tho.

321 has fucked me over once, I will try it again tho.

How so? Construction or something?

The only warning for 321 is to watch out for police. Set the cruise control to 9 over and just enjoy the traffic free drive to Winston.

In other words, the wife/gf stayed home that trip.
AdultDiapers.png

How has 321 fucked you over? I've done that drive close to 50 times (to/from Gastonia) and mehbe hit traffic 1 or 2 times on that route.

How so? Construction or something?

The only warning for 321 is to watch out for police. Set the cruise control to 9 over and just enjoy the traffic free drive to Winston.

This.

Back