• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drone strike in Yemen kills 15 civilians headed to a wedding

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
(Reuters) - Fifteen people on their way to a wedding in Yemen were killed in an air strike after their party was mistaken for an al Qaeda convoy, local security officials said on Thursday.

The officials did not identify the plane in the strike in central al-Bayda province, but tribal and local media sources said that it was a drone.

"An air strike missed its target and hit a wedding car convoy, ten people were killed immediately and another five who were injured died after being admitted to the hospital," one security official said.

Five more people were injured, the officials said.

The United States has stepped up drone strikes as part of a campaign against Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), regarded by Washington as the most active wing of the militant network.

Yemen, AQAP's main stronghold, is among a handful of countries where the United States acknowledges using drones, although it does not comment on the practice.

Human Rights Watch said in a detailed report in August that U.S. missile strikes, including armed drone attacks, have killed dozens of civilians in Yemen.

Stabilizing the country, which is also struggling with southern separatists and northern rebels, is an international priority due to fears of disorder in a state that flanks top oil producer Saudi Arabia and major shipping lanes.

On Monday, missiles fired from a U.S. drone killed at least three people travelling in a car in eastern Yemen.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/12/us-yemen-strike-idUSBRE9BB10O20131212

I can't believe people still cling to stupid excuses for why people in certain parts of the world hate us.

maybe they should stop disguising their wedding parties as AQ convoys, guise

People shouldn't get married in Yemen where KNOWN TERRORISTS live and also travel by convoy. Duh.

i think we can all agree yemenis shouldn't even be getting married in the first place

There's no defense for this. It was a stupid and horrible mistake.

Those people shouldn't have lived so close to terrorists. :rolleyes:

I guess you could call this a mistake but absolutely preventable and fairly predictable. The Drone Wars have gotten completely out of control and it should be a scourge on the party of so called human rights to sit by quietly while one of their own conducts them.

So why have you defended every other stupid and horrible mistake that has resulted in innocent deaths?

Thanks Obama

No one becomes president who isn't a sociopath

I don't think Obama gives two shits about this collateral damage

I guess you could call this a mistake but absolutely preventable and fairly predictable. The Drone Wars have gotten completely out of control and it should be a scourge on the party of so called human rights to sit by quietly while one of their own conducts them.

This. Absolutely despicable and inexcusable. If they can't be used properly (for example- according to Just War Theory), then they shouldn't be used at all.

Is there any doubt OBL won?

Personally? No. He spent years on the run and then caught a bullet in the forehead.

Professionally? If making the US look bad on the world stage was the goal, probably. If it was to fundamentally change the balance of power in the ME, probably not.

Back