• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drug Screening Required for Welfare

Now you're making assumptions about how people on drugs are spending their money. How do you know a crack whore mom isn't using welfare money on food and clothes for the kids while selling her body for crack? According to your logic that's somehow better.

And none of this justification acknowledges the key thing in my post. They've already done pilot testing and this isn't a big problem in Florida.

Didn't your earlier post suggest that the study found that about 4% of recipients failed the drug testing? I don't know the extent of the testing that was in place there, nor do I know what 4% of savings would entail. But, it doesn't strike me that 4% is going to be meaningless. I am not sure it is a "big problem," mainly because that is a very subjective phrase.

I am a farmer and I would gladly take a drug test before receiving any government assistance. When did not doing drugs become so impossible?

Here is idea:

1. Legalize all drugs and tax the piss out of them (legal to possess small amounts very illegal to distribute)
2. Use saved money in prison system o fund REAL rehab programs
3. Drug test for public assistance. If someone fails a test send them to rehab or they don't receive cash assistance.

My thoughts revolve around actually helping the poor. At some point we have o institute a radical plan that helps them get out of heir situation instead of promoting status quo. Out system right now encourages welfare recipients to stay on welfare. That is a fact. I think we should try to figure out how to require military service, GED, or diploma for anyone not mentally challenged.

I made the point earlier that this policy is going to punish mainly good people who smoke a little weed - the overwhelming majority of illegal drug users. Many of these are good people who want to unwind a little. Our drug laws, specifically marijuana laws, are ridiculous.
Maybe, but that's a different question. You don't avoid doing the right thing in one instance because of what you think might be bad law somewhere else. If you start down that road, then nothing will work because government is full of bad laws by fiat. No regulation/law can be perfect (which is why I hate zero tolerance).

And regardless of how people use marijuana, we are still confronted by the fact that the #1 or #2 drug listed on forms of people in rehab seeking help is pot so a lot of people perceive that as the major problem. It's also the gateway drug for contact with dealers leading to other drug use. You know it, I know it. Besides, smoking a little weed now and then like you seem to be worried about does not show up on most drug screens, depending on the thresholds. What people are most concerned about is hardcore and prescription drug abuse.

Now you're making assumptions about how people on drugs are spending their money. How do you know a crack whore mom isn't using welfare money on food and clothes for the kids while selling her body for crack? According to your logic that's somehow better.

I don't have to make any assumptions to know that you are dead wrong. My leasing manager and project manager are offered thousands of dollars in food stamps for cash every month at $.50 on the dollar by various people they come in contact with. Do you really think that cash is going to be used on food and clothes???

I don't have to make any assumptions to know that you are dead wrong. My leasing manager and project manager are offered thousands of dollars in food stamps for cash every month at $.50 on the dollar by various people they come in contact with. Do you really think that cash is going to be used on food and clothes???

I'd argue a critical difference is that TANF are different than SNAP (food stamps) in that it is cash compared to the EBT that food stamps have become. But I get the drift of your response to Ph. This thread has morphed into the merits of drug users receiving welfare as opposed to protecting the interests of children (which ironically, the bill is supposedly designed to address).

True irony is that the original bill actually specified drug testing ONLY on those applicants that had been convicted of a drug felony in the prior 3 years and the applicant would shoulder the financial burden of the test (estimated at a max of $35 - $10 for first test, $25 for confirmatory test if positive). Of course, as we all know once the bills make it through committees and the House/Senate things tend to spiral out of control. Four plus substitutions and re-writes later...

The health care bureaucracy that is created by Obamacare is already unbelievably immense, at least in my opinion. My proposal is something that would cost more in the beginning, and, again in my opinion, save costs and improve overall health in the long term. Aren't those the ultimate goals? If the goal is to provide coverage to anyone and everyone and to treat anyone and everyone like children for the rest of their lives, (1) that is an unattainable goal and (2) even if it was attainable, which it isn't, it would be a pathetic goal.

Good post.

We're in Generation Four on the failed Great Society. It's a way of life, and is cruel and dehumanizing. On the plus side, it has created a perpetual, subservient constituency to do-gooder libs. Hoo-ray!

Based on his prolific participation on this thread, its obvious that Wake and Bake really really supports the right to buy crack with government money.

Gotta love the right wing spin on "cruel and dehumanizing" while praising a proposed (and wildly illegal) federally-run nationwide medical profiling syndicate that would allow the government full access to demand private medical records in order to solely determine if you keep healthy enough to deserve government issued medical insurance.

Nuts, unless you've changed your basic stance on the role of government within the context of this thread.

Good post.

We're in Generation Four on the failed Great Society. It's a way of life, and is cruel and dehumanizing. On the plus side, it has created a perpetual, subservient constituency to do-gooder libs. Hoo-ray!

*snort*

Make it all legal and trim down the population with OD deaths. Or drug test everybody. Either works for me.

They did in Portugal and usage hasn't gone up. Of course they also have rehab on demand.

Yeah Portugal is the model of what I want to be. Then maybe we can go after the economies of greece and Ireland. And while we are at it let's get those alcoholism rates from Ireland too.

I have no problem with testing to get a government handout as long as the kids aren't hurt. I thought about this today and since a rep payee can get the benefits for the kids it's probably the best way to help the kids.

Yeah Portugal is the model of what I want to be. Then maybe we can go after the economies of greece and Ireland. And while we are at it let's get those alcoholism rates from Ireland too.

I have no problem with testing to get a government handout as long as the kids aren't hurt. I thought about this today and since a rep payee can get the benefits for the kids it's probably the best way to help the kids.

pos rep

Let me get this straight. In your world, if a country does something better than we do, we shouldn't try it that way. After we are the USA and no one can show us anything.

no wonder we're falling behind in math and science and other things. People think like this.

America can take what others do and IMPROVE upon them.

no I think liberals love to highlight social initiatives used in other countries without accounting for the impact those policies have on their economy

Gotta love the right wing spin on "cruel and dehumanizing" while praising a proposed (and wildly illegal) federally-run nationwide medical profiling syndicate that would allow the government full access to demand private medical records in order to solely determine if you keep healthy enough to deserve government issued medical insurance.
Nuts, unless you've changed your basic stance on the role of government within the context of this thread.

Huh? I assume that's not talking about me.

Back