• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dry Cleaning - damage restitution?

Stan Gable

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience getting paid for garments that have been destroyed? I have a very expensive Canali suit that was just destroyed by my dry cleaner and they initially offered me 10x the cost of cleaning it as compensation. Don't want to be litigious but that's not going to come close to replacing it. Best way to approach this?

Answers vary by state - some states have statutes that provide obscenely low caps on damages. The answers also vary by dry cleaner. I had one here in Charlotte apologize for losing some shirts and offered to buy me new ones at full retail, no questions asked.

Seriously, yo, does anyone, and I mean anyone, think a bald chunky dude look good in a Canali suit?

You have to be a fire breather with those jerks. They'll absolutely try to screw you over. Depending how old the suit was, and how many times you had it dry cleaned, I'd demand 80% of be paid back, more if it's brand new.

Go to a dry cleaner that works in house and doesn't farm it out

May be tough in lower Manhattan given space and rent cost issues.

Gable: the progeny of an imaginary gene coupling of phillydeac's rage and caturday's self delusions actually existing in real life.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience getting paid for garments that have been destroyed? I have a very expensive Canali suit that was just destroyed by my dry cleaner and they initially offered me 10x the cost of cleaning it as compensation. Don't want to be litigious but that's not going to come close to replacing it. Best way to approach this?

Unless the dry cleaner just decides to do the right thing as a customer relations move, you are screwed.

Back