• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke ESPN Commercial

MichDeac25

Reaction score
ESPN has released a couple new Duke/Coach K commercials. They involve Coach K and ballboys watching NBA games and then Coach K wanting to deliver a message to either Kyrie Irving or Justise Winslow. He then has his ballboys text them.

I thought the American Express commercials a few years ago were borderline recruiting videos. But this is just absurd. Kyrie played like 5 games at Duke. At least the Amex commercials were a general approach to Coach K and his career. The ESPN commercials seem altogether more self-serving, perhaps in part because it's ESPN - a sports company promoting a particular school.

I mean he got Harry Giles and Jahlil Okafor before these commercials came out. How much better can Coach K's recruiting get? It would be weird for ESPN to focus on Duke since Duke has one of the most loyal basketball crazy fanbases already. It would be way more transparent if ESPN's commercials featured a large market team that is less basketball focused like Texas.

Also I don't think those are his ballboys. I'm pretty sure those are his grandsons.

I mean he got Harry Giles and Jahlil Okafor before these commercials came out. How much better can Coach K's recruiting get? It would be weird for ESPN to focus on Duke since Duke has one of the most loyal basketball crazy fanbases already. It would be way more transparent if ESPN's commercials featured a large market team that is less basketball focused like Texas.

Also I don't think those are his ballboys. I'm pretty sure those are his grandsons.

Well, they did kind of come from his balls, indirectly.

I'm surprised it happened because it's a promo for SVP Sportscenter and he's a huge Terps fan. Could have picked any coach.

So let me get this straight - various people on the Boards sniped about the Coach K Amex commercials for years. But these commercials, they have no problem with?

So let me get this straight - various people on the Boards sniped about the Coach K Amex commercials for years. But these commercials, they have no problem with?

I have a problem with them. In fact, I've been on a hunger strike for 68 hours and counting until these disgraceful commercials are pulled off the air. I am LIVID

We've become numb to it. We know griping about it isn't going to change anything or make us feel better, so we just go on, taking solace in the knowledge that he's either going to retire or die someday.

We've become numb to it. We know griping about it isn't going to change anything or make us feel better, so we just go on, taking solace in the knowledge that he's either going to retire or die someday.

It is what it is. With all the 24/7 sports networks, social media, websites, etc., etc.- the elite coaches are made into huge celebrities. Does it give them an advantage, sure it does. Coach K has been made into this legendary figure that most elite high school players look at as the ultimate guy to go play for, same thing for Saban and Meyer in football. However, when you get right down to it, there's really nothing you can do about and as Biff said he's not going to coach forever. Then the sports media will fall in love with the next guy to promote. No need in getting all upset about something that you can't do anything about.

Beat them on the court and every time you can, best response to it. If I'm Manning, show the team the commercial over and over before tonight's game and ask them if they're sick of seeing this crap

I have a problem with them. In fact, I've been on a hunger strike for 68 hours and counting until these disgraceful commercials are pulled off the air. I am LIVID

This is the correct response to these commercials!! I have made several signs to protest ESPN tonight for allowing these commercials. This can not stand!! Palma I would offer you one of my signs, but you may be too weak to hold a sign after going so long without food.

Back