• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke in National Title Chase

80deac

Reaction score
....football, not basketball....probably not this year but they are moving in the right direction. If they now run the table, they will give FSU a better game than last year. Remember, they almost beat Texas A&M in their bowl. They looked like the '06 Deacs today as a team of destiny. Pitt coaches blew a call when they ran wide inside the 20, thereby giving kicker Blewett (can you believe that name!) a sharp angle kick, which he missed. Would have won game with 2 sec. on clock.

Duke OL one of best in nation. Look at the yardage of their top 2 rushers. If they were to beat FSU where would they end in the poll? Probably not top 4 especially if FSU stumbles vs Fla (they upset Ga today), but in top 10. 2015? Who knows. I thought they'd win 8 this year after losing OC to Florida, but they haven't missed a beat. And who replaced the OC? Scottie Montgomery who was playing about 4 years ago. Cutcliff has proven to be a better hire than Grobe as he has built Duke up at every position, 2 deep. (They lost 3 key starters before season started.)

I will always wonder what would have happened if Grobe had really not been so committed to his brother-in-law, put him as AHC, and aggressively hired a creative OC that could have energized the team and recruiting. We may be competing with Duke this year. Instead, it will likely be our worse loss of the season. Two short seasons ago we played Miss. State to 6 points. Lots has changed quickly.

Five Star thread. Would read again.

Grobe wasn't capable of Cutcliffe-level success because he isn't as good of a coach. Simple as.

GT and Miami are actually legit contenders this year so it's impressive Duke MAY be on the way to repeating, but they will lose some key pieces this year and they have been very fortunate to have drawn the two worst teams from the other division this year.

Cut has built a solid program, but let's not get carried away

Last edited:
I'll have what the OP is having this evening. Must be good stuff.

....football, not basketball....probably not this year but they are moving in the right direction. If they now run the table, they will give FSU a better game than last year. Remember, they almost beat Texas A&M in their bowl. They looked like the '06 Deacs today as a team of destiny. Pitt coaches blew a call when they ran wide inside the 20, thereby giving kicker Blewett (can you believe that name!) a sharp angle kick, which he missed. Would have won game with 2 sec. on clock.

Duke OL one of best in nation. Look at the yardage of their top 2 rushers. If they were to beat FSU where would they end in the poll? Probably not top 4 especially if FSU stumbles vs Fla (they upset Ga today), but in top 10. 2015? Who knows. I thought they'd win 8 this year after losing OC to Florida, but they haven't missed a beat. And who replaced the OC? Scottie Montgomery who was playing about 4 years ago. Cutcliff has proven to be a better hire than Grobe as he has built Duke up at every position, 2 deep. (They lost 3 key starters before season started.)

I will always wonder what would have happened if Grobe had really not been so committed to his brother-in-law, put him as AHC, and aggressively hired a creative OC that could have energized the team and recruiting. We may be competing with Duke this year. Instead, it will likely be our worse loss of the season. Two short seasons ago we played Miss. State to 6 points. Lots has changed quickly.

Brother-in-law?

Brother-in-law?

Animal_House_Rolling.jpg

Duke is a long way from being a nat'l title contender, but I agree with the premise of the OP. I watched part of the Duke/Pitt game today. Duke is legit good. Ironic that Duke's resurgence resulted from Grobe's success at Wake, and now Duke's program has a much more solid foundation than we ever had here under Grobe.

Duke is nowhere near the national title chase, now or in the future.

Duke is nowhere near the national title chase, now or in the future.

Just being in the actual official national rankings is legit enough. That gives Duke an actual shot, slim as it is. Which is highly respectable.

Duke is a decent enough team (maybe 30th best in country or so?) but they played the softest non-conf ever, and have gotten quite lucky to win all their close games in conference. I mean they were 3.5 pt underdogs today against Pitt.

So good for them for building a quality program but they still are 15-20 pts on a neutral worse than the real national champion level teams.

Duck fook. Pitt kicker essentially "blew"an extra point length fg at the gun to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Hope the Deacs are fired up to close the season with a win in the city of crime and spoil their minor league Coastal title hopes.:thumbsup:

funny thing is tho that if they manage to win out and miraculously beat FSU in teh ACCCG, wouldn't they be close ish to top 4? i guess not with their shitty sos. playing us won't help.

Grobe wasn't capable of Cutcliffe-level success because he isn't as good of a coach.

Hyperbole. Call me when cutcliffe wins a freaking bowl game. Their success drops way off after this year.

Bowl games mean shit. But if that's your criteria, he was 4-1 in bowls at Ole Miss.

But I don't know why I'm bothering to reply. It isn't close

I agree and when we beat them at the end of the season we will win their pink slip and get to be in the chase instead

Back