• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke selling student tickets because of low attendance

College basketball needs to go the college baseball system. Either you go to the NBA out of high school, or you play for 3 years.

The "one and done" system they came up with was probably the worst solution to the problem.

Then college basketball would just be more like college baseball.

The ACC has been on the decline for a while now. It's become a two team league ie UNC and Duke with occasionally an FSU, MD, or UVA being in the top 3. Wake, State, and Ga Tech aren't as relevant as they were in the 90's.

Not sure what time period you are talking about, but Wake and GT have been a lot better than UVA. UVA has been .500 or better in league play once in the last 10 years.

The crowd in Cameron was definitely dead Thursday night.

Acc basketball is garbage. The product truly sucks. Expect a lot more of this.

This reminds me of something that happened when I was in law school--I went to the 2004 ACC Tournament in Greensboro and got student tickets through Wake. While I was there on quarterfinal Friday, I ran into a lawyer I know who is a big Wake fan. He was telling me that he offered to get a ticket book for his daughter, who was a Duke student at the time. She nonchalantly told him not to bother getting a complete book for her--she just wanted a ticket for the championship game.

The other thing I noticed was that all of the other fan bases were there for all of the games. The Duke section would be essentially empty for any game not involving Duke. Entitled is just about right with the Duke people.

The ACC has been on the decline for a while now. It's become a two team league ie UNC and Duke with occasionally an FSU, MD, or UVA being in the top 3. Wake, State, and Ga Tech aren't as relevant as they were in the 90's.

Top 3 finishes beginning with the 2001-2002 season (ESPN.com doesn't have the earlier standings):
Maryland 4
Duke 9
Wake Forest 4
North Carolina 6
Virginia 1
Florida State 2
Boston College 1
Clemson 1
NC State 1
Georgia Tech 1

Duke and North Carolina (w/Roy Williams) have been dominant, but to put Florida State and especially Virginia above Wake Forest shows the power of the recency effect.

Then college basketball would just be more like college baseball.

Disagree.

Professional baseball has a minor league system and a draft with neverending picks. What's more is that the minor leagues is expected for every draft pick. No player feels disrespected for having to play in the A league.

Basketball, on the other hand, has no minor league system like baseball and only two rounds of picks. So, the number of players who would actually go straight from high school to the pros is far more limited in basketball then baseball.

Also, I'd supplement this idea with giving basketball players who enter the draft out of high school, and dont get drafted, the opportunity to go to college. Again, if they do, they have to play for 3 years.

Not sure what time period you are talking about, but Wake and GT have been a lot better than UVA. UVA has been .500 or better in league play once in the last 10 years.

The crowd in Cameron was definitely dead Thursday night.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said UVA, my mistake. I stand by the other two however, Maryland (over the long haul) and FSU (recently).

Last edited:
Top 3 finishes beginning with the 2001-2002 season (ESPN.com doesn't have the earlier standings):
Maryland 4
Duke 9
Wake Forest 4
North Carolina 6
Virginia 1
Florida State 2
Boston College 1
Clemson 1
NC State 1
Georgia Tech 1

Duke and North Carolina (w/Roy Williams) have been dominant, but to put Florida State and especially Virginia above Wake Forest shows the power of the recency effect.

Wow, those numbers reflect more and more just how much of a two team league the ACC is. Look no further then the ACC Tournament. Over the last 20years, 17 times the tournament has been won by either UNC or Duke. Only 3 times (Wake 1995, 1996, MD 2004). The recency effect is there. Even when we've finished in the top 3, we've quickly lost in both the ACC and NCAA tournament.

It is the culture we are in with the current state of academia. We & they are bringing in kids these days that "ain't from here".

Kids back in our day came from the surrounding state area and grew up watching ACC football & basketball. You lived and breathed the stuff. Now less than 35% of our current enrollment is from N.C. They didn't grow up going to ACC games or probably any games. Why are they going to start now when they have grown up in the library or going to study groups?

We would finish basketball practice or whatever, walk about a mile to the NEW McDonalds in Barracks Road Shopping Center, grab a burger and walk to UHall to see every UVa basketball game. Bill "Hoot" Gibson was the coach and Barry Parkhill was the new ACC sensation. You also didn't miss the freshman games in those days as you got to see the unveiling of David Thompson & Charlie Scott and Charlie Davis before they could play on the varsity. Everybody was dressed in orange and breathing fire at the competition--whether it was Dean & his Tar Heels or Frank McGuire and his Gamecocks of Roche, Rebock [ sp ] & Owens

Before the shot clock & the hash marks, I got to watch Parkhill dribble the game away at midcourt and drill a 15 ft bank shot to upset #1 USC. Even caught Parkhill's sweatband after the game.

My point is you grew up on the ACC.

Back