• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dunkirk: Nolan's masterpiece?

Is it child (12) appropriate?

IMO, it really depends what you've exposed him/her to already. DV7 is correct...not gory and not really much (any?) foul language. But very, very intense.

Also might be difficult for the child to follow if he/she hasn't been predisposed to foreign accents.

IMO, it really depends what you've exposed him/her to already. DV7 is correct...not gory and not really much (any?) foul language. But very, very intense.

Also might be difficult for the child to follow if he/she hasn't been predisposed to foreign accents.

I don't know if I'd be able to follow the timeline structure at that age either (also as evidenced by my question above I didn't have complete success as an adult), but I don't think there is anything terribly objectionable for a 12 year old in the film

Took my 8 year old boys to see it. They loved it and had no problem following it at all. Don't think it was too violent for them. They wanted to know more about WW II afterward. Most inappropriate part was the previews (Snowman).

The consensus is IMAX is well worth it?

Sadly my only option for seeing it in IMAX is the German dubbed version, and ... fuck that. Dubbing is just awful in every situation. I'll have to settle for watching it in a standard theater.

Sadly my only option for seeing it in IMAX is the German dubbed version, and ... fuck that. Dubbing is just awful in every situation. I'll have to settle for watching it in a standard theater.

There really isn't a whole lot of dialogue so that might not be as bad as some other movies.

Saw it last night at standard theater in St Andrews Scotland. Cool experience

Plus, what are the odds that the Krauts don't change other aspects of the movie as well during the process to push their Nazi propaganda? That would be like trusting the Klan to properly edit Gettysburg.

Really enjoyed it, particularly the fighter plane scenes in the IMAX (which now that I've been to what I'd call real IMAX theaters before the local fakish one pales in comparison).

If we can do spoilers now, the one thing I didn't catch was the connection of how Cillian Murphy ended up floating out in the water by himself when we saw that earlier he was part of leading rescue boats away from the downed ship during the nighttime scene

I was confused by this as well, but... SPOILERS....

I think we're meant to assume that Murphy's character waited through the night (and all the tension that accompanied that) until finally boarding a ship the next day. Only to then have that ship sunk. So he essentially went through having two different ships sink, hence his mental state.

Sorry, I couldn't get the spoiler tag to work.

As I read some more about it too, I don't think everything was necessarily supposed to tie together cleanly anyway. Your hypothesis might be right, but perhaps the point is that it doesn't really matter since war is chaotic and things don't come together in a neat way like you might expect from a narrative

or maybe it's just Nolan being Nolan with weird (some might say poor) editing

The plane scenes in IMAX were amazing. The shot of Hardy's plane gliding with the city in the background was worth the ticket itself. Aside from that, its a rather odd movie. My biggest complaint was the continued use of the number "300,000 men" when it never appeared there were more than 10,000 on the beach. Seems strange Nolan couldnt have one shot that really made it feel like the whole army was there. There was no true climax either. The scene where the Admiral sees all the small ships coming was so underwhelming. I enjoyed the experience but cant say that it is a great movie.

Back