• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Durham / RTP Advice

You're going to find that Raleigh is very suburban in nature. Five Points probably best meets your criteria for neighborhood amenities. Cameron Park would put you close to a lot of things, including Broughton HS, downtown, and the Glenwood South area. The Central YMCA is a big deal in Raleigh and there's no shame in working out there. If you move to the northern part of North Hills, like it sounds like your bros did, the enjoyable parts of your everyday lifestyle are effectively over.

Decent place to start: http://www.movoto.com/guide/raleigh-nc/raleigh-neighborhood-guide/

I don't know too much about the condo/apartment market, but I dig the older neighborhoods - Mordecai, Oakwood - and the core, walkable neighborhoods - Moore Square, Fayetteville Street, Boylan Heights. I hear several of them are getting pretty expensive.

North Raleigh is going to be more single-family homes, driving everywhere, shopping centers, families, etc.

Decent place to start: http://www.movoto.com/guide/raleigh-nc/raleigh-neighborhood-guide/

I don't know too much about the condo/apartment market, but I dig the older neighborhoods - Mordecai, Oakwood - and the core, walkable neighborhoods - Moore Square, Fayetteville Street, Boylan Heights. I hear several of them are getting pretty expensive.

North Raleigh is going to be more single-family homes, driving everywhere, shopping centers, families, etc.

I live in Mordecai/edge of Oakwood. It is getting expensive, but you can still find some affordable places.

I live in Mordecai/edge of Oakwood. It is getting expensive, but you can still find some affordable places.

Yeah, my parents moved to Oakwood a couple years ago and the value of their home has jumped a ton in a very short time.

Everyone has different levels of safety/comfort and entertainment interests, etc. I would suggest getting a Month to Month furnished rental (have your stuff moved to a PODS or Storage Unit) and figure it out for yourselves. When your wife gets to Duke, have her talk to fellow students/residents and pick their brains. They have already been there/done that, so maybe you can use their experience to avoid the mistakes they made. It will also help you meet people of similar interests/likes and perhaps give you a line on a gig...

Just my 2 cents.

Don't forget to also look for the one bedroom apartment for 6-8 months from now.

If she's going to be in Durham, I'd actually recommend Brier Creek (def not the best social scene there, but it would make for an easier commute) or Chapel Hill area.. Raleigh to Durham everyday is a bit of a hike. Especially for a resident who's going to be (probably) working some crazy hours for a while.

I'm on the edge of Oakwood in Raleigh and gmaps says it's 55 minutes for me to duke hospital right now (unless she'd be working at duke raleigh, in which case, so close!)

ETA: mixed up the first poster and Braskys posts... so ignore everything I said haha.

Last edited:
Back