• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dwight "The Catch" Clark R.I.P.

DEACS76

Reaction score
Dwight Clark, 49er and Clemson great, dies after a battle with ALS. He was 61 years old.

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Is it just coincidence or does ALS seem to hit athletes a lot?

It has definitely impacted our family and is a horrible disease

My big brother loved the cowboys when we were growing up so naturally I hated them. I would spend all day sunday in a different room pulling like hell for whoever the cowboys were playing and then gloat about to my brother if it actually happened (rarely). The day Dwight Clark caught that pass I ran across the house to talk shit to my bro and then I caught the look on his face, a mix of disbelief and trying not to cry. I still talked smack but it was only halfhearted and learned a lesson that day that it is really not cool to kick a guy while he is down (except for Tarholes and Dukies- fuck them). RIP Dwight Clark- one of my best football memories as a kid.

My big brother loved the cowboys when we were growing up so naturally I hated them. I would spend all day sunday in a different room pulling like hell for whoever the cowboys were playing and then gloat about to my brother if it actually happened (rarely). The day Dwight Clark caught that pass I ran across the house to talk shit to my bro and then I caught the look on his face, a mix of disbelief and trying not to cry. I still talked smack but it was only halfhearted and learned a lesson that day that it is really not cool to kick a guy while he is down (except for Tarholes and Dukies- fuck them). RIP Dwight Clark- one of my best football memories as a kid.

10 year old me was crushed by that play. RIP Dwight Clark- one of the most vivid football memories as a kid.

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Is it just coincidence or does ALS seem to hit athletes a lot?

Without looking it up, I believe there's a connection between ALS and late adolescence/early adulthood head trauma.

Without looking it up, I believe there's a connection between ALS and late adolescence/early adulthood head trauma.

Clark said that he felt his ALS was attributable to concussions from playing football. Clark was from Kinston and was a really good HS basketball player (and preferred hoop), but he was a better football player.

While at Clemson, Clark dated Shawn Weatherly who went on to become Miss USA and Miss Universe.

f195448e72386c0f8df7b07f88f2aac8.jpg

Talk about “The Catch!”

I’ll be leaving now.

Clark said that he felt his ALS was attributable to concussions from playing football. Clark was from Kinston and was a really good HS basketball player (and preferred hoop), but he was a better football player.

While at Clemson, Clark dated Shawn Weatherly who went on to become Miss USA and Miss Universe.

f195448e72386c0f8df7b07f88f2aac8.jpg

And Ms Weatherly's mom and grandmother were from Clinton NC! She visited after winning Ms. Universe

Back