• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Easier Schedule

Next year's nonconference schedule is just about right. One big-name opponent, a lower-tier BCS team, a service academy, and a sure FBS win.

Apparently the best bowl Wake can realistically hope to be chosen for in any given year is the Charlotte bowl to play a Big East team like Rutgers or Louisville. As has been discussed in detail elsewhere, Wake will never get chosen for the Peach Bowl and it's looking pretty unlikely we'd ever get invited to Orlando as well.

As a result, I'd rather take our chances against the high-profile OOC opponent and basically treat that as our marquee game. If we lose at BB&T field to say, Notre Dame, and, as a result, miss out on a thrilling Independence Bowl matchup against Wyoming, so be it.

Note: this is simply my opinion as a fan and reflects what I would find entertaining. Also, we have already discussed this topic here:

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5481

Let's assume we played The Citadel instead of Syracuse, and two Bowl Division patsies instead of Notre Dame and Vanderbilt and achieved a 9-3 record. I wonder what bowl would select us. Would we still be going to Independence ?

Vanderbilt is a bowl division "pastie" in my opinion.

BC was invited to Orlando just a few years ago. We certainly travel as well if not better.

Exactly, Say Hey. And I was referencing points made on that thread. Wouldn't mind having these threads merged since this is basically continuing that discussion.

I'll also maintain that if we can't get 6 wins playing the teams we already play in a relatively weak conference where we play at least 9-10 beatable teams every year, we don't deserve a good bowl.

BC was invited to Orlando just a few years ago. We certainly travel as well if not better.

BC got invited to Orlando only after being snubbed by both the Peach Bowl and the Gator Bowl. They were 10-2 before losing in the ACC CG. They started the season 8-0 and ranked #2 in the country and had Matt Ryan, a legit Heisman Trophy candidate.

If Wake had that kind of season, then, yeah, we'd get picked by a better bowl than Charlotte. But, we've only had that season once in the entire history of our football program.

Exactly. Orlando was the worst bowl BC could go to by the rules. They got past over despite having these benefits.

By the way, BC went 4-0 against an OOC of Army, UMass, Bowling Green, and @Notre Dame. Didn't help them get a better bowl.

That wasn't the worst bowl they could go to because I remember we were hoping that we might jump them.

That OOC slate sure didn't stop them from being ranked #2 did it? Nobody gives you credit for playing a tough OOC schedule.

Aren't we going to the Military Bowl?

Unless some other bowl is absolutely forced to take us I'm assuming all ACC eligible teams will be selected before us.

Aren't we going to the Military Bowl?

Unless some other bowl is absolutely forced to take us I'm assuming all ACC eligible teams will be selected before us.

No, since we finished 2 games ahead of UNC in the conference standing, a bowl can't take them ahead of us.

For those that claim that WF was expected to beat Cuse and Vandy, WF was a dog in both games (fwiw, Vandy was favored at TN the week before). The fact is that WF could have played a Duke (Stanford, Richmond, FIU, Tulane) or State (S. Alabama, Liberty, W. Michigan, Cincy) or GT (Western Carolina, MTSU, Kansas and UGA) and finished no worse than 8-4. WF chose to play a more challenging OOC schedule than most ACC teams, and the result was 6-6 season that was better than the record indicated.

For those that claim that WF was expected to beat Cuse and Vandy, WF was a dog in both games (fwiw, Vandy was favored at TN the week before). The fact is that WF could have played a Duke (Stanford, Richmond, FIU, Tulane) or State (S. Alabama, Liberty, W. Michigan, Cincy) or GT (Western Carolina, MTSU, Kansas and UGA) and finished no worse than 8-4. WF chose to play a more challenging OOC schedule than most ACC teams, and the result was 6-6 season that was better than the record indicated.

Vandy should kick themselves for not beating Tennessee. UT lost to a terrible Kentucky team Saturday and UT had bowl eligibility on the line.

Accurate, except for the fact that Cincy is bowling if I am not mistaken. We had a pathetic OOC schedule.

Obviously, we know about Stanford. Duke played at 8-4 FIU and won.

Obviously State had to go 6-4 instead of 6-5 against FBS competition because of their schedule.

Back