• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Economics & Trade

Someone explain to me why people think Trump will be better than Biden with the economy…I mean Biden did a great job, it’s just greedification by corporations that has items remaining at higher prices. He really don’t have much he can do about that. Outside of that really great metrics on jobs production, unemployment rate and stock market. So what’s the problem?
depends on where you are in the food chain, but if you're an owner and/or wealthy then trump probably more likely to cut your income taxes and reduce regulation, i would imagine

has he said anything about cutting interest rates?

Yeah. He's better for the "economy" for people who set the narrative about the economy.

We have learned from three, or four, Republican presidents that trickle down economics does not work. This is not a discussion, it’s fact! I honestly don’t know why these poor Republican don’t recognize this.

We have learned from three, or four, Republican presidents that trickle down economics does not work. This is not a discussion, it’s fact! I honestly don’t know why these poor Republican don’t recognize this.
Because their wealthy overloads tell them to blame Democrats, immigrants, trans people, racial and ethnic minorities, the "elites" for economic problems.

the Republican Party is a mess. There is no policy agenda. It’s a power cult hijacked into a personality cult.

There is a legit political debate between monetarists and their modern monetary theory and more traditional harder money investors like me. Trump is cut taxes blow up the deficit. thank me for the short term buzz, and I’ll be gone for the hangover. That’s the typical Republican playbook. There were in the wild at one time Republicans that were actually fiscal conservatives. They are all gone now.

Bidens current governmental spending as in infrastructure is what govt is supposed to do. The republicans cut taxes and increase consumption, panacea to the idiots and politically effective. Money flows up.

There is a lot of overregulation now in employment that is the democrats fault. I’m personally much more for the Uber model than the traditional labor/owner structure. I believe in the free agent economy with less friction. We have the affordable care act and the IRA …. Go to work.

Someone explain to me why people think Trump will be better than Biden with the economy…I mean Biden did a great job, it’s just greedification by corporations that has items remaining at higher prices. He really don’t have much he can do about that. Outside of that really great metrics on jobs production, unemployment rate and stock market. So what’s the problem?
Triad City Beat covered the Trump Rally, asking why they showed up. Their perspective on why Trump is better for the economy:

-concerns about grocery prices
  • Trump lowered the deficit a lot [he didn't]
  • Trump's economics are better for seniors (He'll protect Social Security)
  • "illegal non-Americans are bad for the economy"

the Republican Party is a mess. There is no policy agenda. It’s a power cult hijacked into a personality cult.

There is a legit political debate between monetarists and their modern monetary theory and more traditional harder money investors like me. Trump is cut taxes blow up the deficit. thank me for the short term buzz, and I’ll be gone for the hangover. That’s the typical Republican playbook. There were in the wild at one time Republicans that were actually fiscal conservatives. They are all gone now.

Bidens current governmental spending as in infrastructure is what govt is supposed to do. The republicans cut taxes and increase consumption, panacea to the idiots and politically effective. Money flows up.

There is a lot of overregulation now in employment that is the democrats fault. I’m personally much more for the Uber model than the traditional labor/owner structure. I believe in the free agent economy with less friction. We have the affordable care act and the IRA …. Go to work.

The Uber free agent model would work much more effectively with universal healthcare, free public higher education, and universal income. Labor would have more true agency. That’s one reason free agency works in sports. Everyone has basic labor protections so they’re free to choose their employer based on money, amenities, chance to advance their career, etc.

The Uber free agent model would work much more effectively with universal healthcare, free public higher education, and universal income. Labor would have more true agency. That’s one reason free agency works in sports. Everyone has basic labor protections so they’re free to choose their employer based on money, amenities, chance to advance their career, etc.
What we know is that The Affordable Care Act empowers start ups especially those started by older entrepreneurs. So it isnt universal access but it is access.

Triad City Beat covered the Trump Rally, asking why they showed up. Their perspective on why Trump is better for the economy:

All of which is based on gross misunderstanding, of course.

Regulations aren’t meant to boost the economy, they are meant to protect consumers and protect labor. The “Uber model” is largely unprofitable at scale and only finds its margin by eschewing regulations. Employers should be accountable to their labor force, which they aren’t under the private contractor model of employment. No one is stopping employers from providing the same freedom and flexibility to employees that the “Uber model” provides.

US crypto financiers are suing the nation of Honduras for repealing a law allowing for tax free economic “zones” in the country that are controlled by foreign corporations out of Honduran jurisdiction.

“…”Understandably, ZEDEs are highly unpopular in Honduras. The slogan “No to the ZEDEs” featured prominently in Castro’s electoral campaign. Shortly after Castro’s inauguration, the Honduran Congress voted to repeal the lawthat allowed for the creation of ZEDEs. A broad-based National Movement Against the ZEDEs and in Defense of Sovereignty, which was formed under the prior government and includes unions, Indigenous groups, human rights organizations, and prominent academics, is also pressing Castro to shut the ZEDEs down.

However, investment provisions under the Dominican Republic-Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA-DR) have provided ZEDE investors with a powerful means of fighting back against Castro’s proposed reform. Citing potential future losses, Honduras Próspera, a Delaware-based U.S. company that is operating a ZEDE called Próspera on Roatán island, off the northern coast of Honduras, is suing the Honduran government in an investor-state dispute settlement court located at the World Bank. Though U.S. President Joe Biden has announced his opposition to such investment-state arbitration in future trade agreements, the ZEDE investors’ claim has received a potent boost from the State Department and the U.S. ambassador in Tegucigalpa”

“ICSID, established in 1966 as a means to resolve legal disputes between international investors and states, is an investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) court under the World Bank. ICSID allows investors to effectively sue governments for investment losses, including future profits. Investors can claim damages for any regulatory decision—including limiting fossil fuels or imposing restrictions on cigarette packaging—thus making it very difficult for governments to put in place labor or environmental safeguards or, as in the case of Honduras, take measures to protect the country’s sovereignty and democracy.

These dispute settlements are designed to allow corporations to sue states—but not the other way around. Studies of ISDS mechanisms show that states win just 36 percent of arbitration cases. Plus, refusing to pay damages awarded to a corporation is rarely an option as arbitration cases are often executed in the jurisdictions of countries where the state may have assets. International reserves, a state-owned company, or even a state-owned aircraft or vessel can be seized to make good on payment. Arbitration decisions can even end up tabulated as part of a country’s foreign debt

…Próspera, meanwhile, has not wasted any time in hiring lobbyists and seeking political allies in Washington. In October 2022, Sens. Bill Hagerty and Ben Cardin sent a letter to the Biden administration denouncing the Honduran government over the ZEDE law’s repeal. Any “direct or indirect expropriation of U.S. investments in Honduran [ZEDEs],” they wrote, “would be regarded as a direct assault on the guarantees of CAFTA-DR.” Some House Republicans, including Reps. Paul Gosar, Mario Díaz-Balart, Michael Waltz, and Maria Elvira Salazar, have also expressed support for Próspera and called for individual sanctions in response to attempts to shut down the ZEDEs—condemning threats to U.S. investment and even alluding to Chinese influence in the region.

The U.S. ambassador to Honduras, Laura Dogu, who has made a habit of publiclycriticizing the Honduran government on domestic policy, has also rushed to the rescue of the Próspera ZEDE. A few weeks after the U.S. Embassy tweeted about Dogu’s deputy meeting with Próspera investors in September 2022, the U.S. ambassador slammed the Castro government for wanting to “reduce or eliminate investment incentives.” “Without a doubt,” the ambassador said, the Castro government’s “actions are sending a clear message to companies that they should invest elsewhere, not in Honduras.” The U.S. State Department, in apparent disregard for Biden’s opposition to ISDS, has also voiced similar concerns, alleging that the Honduran government’s decision to repeal the ZEDE law “further contributed to uncertainty over the government’s commitment to investment protections required by international treaties.””

The notion that Trump will protect Social Security or Medicare is nuts, and in fact it's the opposite. Republicans from Trump to Nikki Haley to Rick Scott and many others have all discussed privatizing or just eliminating SS and Medicare if Trump gets elected and the GOP wins control of Congress, and The Heritage Foundation and other right-wing think tanks have listed that as a priority if Trump wins. It's like those folks who loved Obamacare if it was called the Affordable Care Act, but hated it if it was called Obamacare, never realizing that they're same program. If the GOP wins and slashes SS and Medicare you can bet his supporters will find some way to blame it all on Democrats, even though they're the ones that are opposed to cutting either program.

So the US government is against an effort in Honduras to close an avenue which allows US companies and rich investors to avoid paying taxes to the US Government. Makes total sense. I'm sure that lobbying and politicians' personal funds play no part in this whatsoever.

But so much of that money goes back into the states' education funds, right?

pretty sure it just replaces education dollars that were funded otherwise, thus effectively shifting the burden to lottery players, which are disproportionately lower-income households

it would be paternalistic, no doubt, to ban the lottery on such grounds, but there is a strong economic argument for it

pretty sure it just replaces education dollars that were funded otherwise, thus effectively shifting the burden to lottery players, which are disproportionately lower-income households

it would be paternalistic, no doubt, to ban the lottery on such grounds, but there is a strong economic argument for it
Thatsthejoke.gif

Back