• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Economics & Trade

My thought is that we are now so globally interconnected that we can cause endless pain and suffering but not sufficiently coordinated or kind to do anything about it.

My thought is that we are now so globally interconnected that we can cause endless pain and suffering but not sufficiently coordinated or kind to do anything about it.
Agreed, but that’s kind of just a broader view of globalism, right? Something I found informative about that article was that smaller countries mirror or mimic our economic policy, so when the US FED raises the national interest rate, all those countries raise their own interest rate, even while many of their economies are much more heavily based on borrowing than ours is, so their raised interest rate has a much stronger and more sudden impact on their citizens than the impact that American citizens feel.

A good takeaway. Nothing to add, and I was being general.

Seems like they are screwed, screwed, or screwed. The US does something to prevent a recession in the US and causes economic hardship and possible recession in other countries, the US does nothing and enters a downward economy leading to economic hardship and recession elsewhere, you try and decouple yourself from the US policy and find you can’t and find yourself with surprise surprise economic hardship.

Low un-employment, healthy job gains, declining inflation, surging stock market. It has pretty much been the best "landing" possible, so far.

Last edited:
Powell with about as positive of a report as could be. S&P and Dow up over a percent today.

i mean if we're going to live in a nazi hellscape at least let the stock market be good

Half of recent US inflation due to high corporate profits, report finds

A new report claims “resounding evidence” shows that high corporate profits are a main driver of ongoing inflation, and companies continue to keep prices high even as their inflationary costs drop.

The report, compiled by the progressive Groundwork Collaborative thinktank, found corporate profits accounted for about 53% of inflation during last year’s second and third quarters. Profits drove just 11% of price growth in the 40 years prior to the pandemic, according to the report.

Prices for consumers rose by 3.4% over the past year, but input costs for producers increased by just 1%, according to the authors’ calculations which were based on data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis and National Income and Products Accounts.

Sailor reads this and thinks "Damnamit joe Brandon"

Yeah, I mean at least Trump would insist the CEOs come and stay in one of his hotels several times a year to share in the $. Which would be a big help.

i'm not going to pretend i've scoured the data they've collected, but if you take it as true and you also try to make a good faith read on this from a neoclassical economic perspective then why were these inflationary prices not competed back down?

where is the flaw in the system?

Back