• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Economics & Trade

Eh, I don't think staffing is the issue. I spend a lot of time each year in small municipality offices. Rarely is anyone overly busy. There are a lot of staff lunches, dog-at-work days, and other nonsense. Manpower is not the issue. Decision-making Authority is the issue. Rightly or wrongly, most municipal workers do not go outside their direct sphere of authority. If it isn't something in their handbook, they aren't going to do it.
i have mixed experience -- i'm definitely running into understaffing more recently -- some of the hardest working and brightest folks I work with are government people, but there are a lot that are...not

i do agree that everything having to run through city council instead of staff-level approval authority is a problem

and, outside of california, the cities I work with simply don't have that many resources to use to solve problems

Sincere question, what do you mean by regulatory burden? As in, if I want to install a Tesla fast charger in my garage, and it takes 3-5 weeks to get it inspected by my municipality, how would regulatory burden account for that?
That's an electrical inspection.

That's an electrical inspection.
Yeah…? The local and state government requiring you to have electrical work inspected is a building regulation. Electricians and journeymen having to be licensed is a regulation. All those regulations have to be managed by local government. What’s the confusion?

So apply to get your inspection. Have you noticed that there's a 3% unemployment rate? Do you want the government to force more women to get pregnant with electricians ? Electrical inspections, while they may be onerous and a hassle to schedule are not causing an affordable housing crisis.

I’m not sure what we’re arguing about - you used a phrase I didn’t understand, so I was asking you to explain it using the context I provided. I wasn’t being rhetorical, I truly don’t know what you meant by “not meeting regulatory burden”.

A very common complaint with building regulations are the time it takes to schedule inspections, and the amount of inspections necessary. So I provided an example of a typical building inspection that a general contractor or electrician might have to schedule.I was an electricians assistant after high school and our work schedule constantly revolved around inspections.

Once in a while I read a thread that is informative and useful. I spent a majority of my working years in housing. I retired 15 years ago. This thread has been an eye opener. Two thumbs up to all who have participated. Thank you.

i've probably said this a half dozen times on this board, but at the end of the day the problem we have is the tension created by housing as a commodity and housing as home/shelter/human right

Back