• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Elmore Leonard RIP

Get Shorty
Be Cool
Out of Sight
The Big Bounce
Hombre
Fire in the Hole (adapted into Justified)

As my old roommate (huge fan) said of him- He didn't break the mold of the crime thriller genre. He WAS the mold.

I've probably read more Leonard works (short stories and novels) than any other author. Dude was a total badass. Even as an old timer he was still cranking out quality work. He will be missed.

Agreed. Hated to hear this today. Guy wrote great dialogue.

Not to be confused with Elmore, Leonard.

gus-johnson-len-elmore.jpg

Love me some Jackie Brown and Out of Sight

Get Shorty
Be Cool
Out of Sight
The Big Bounce
Hombre
Fire in the Hole (adapted into Justified)

As my old roommate (huge fan) said of him- He didn't break the mold of the crime thriller genre. He WAS the mold.

You missed two of his best- Jackie Brown & 52 Pick-up...and Mr. Majestyk

If you want to get a teenage dude to enjoy reading for pleasure, expose him to Elmore Leonard's books or short stories. It's funny -- it's been a long time since I was in high school, but I feel like even now students are still reading the classics. Those are great of course, but not necessarily a winning recipe to get young people to like reading. Let a young dude read Leonard's Killshot or Out of Sight or Riding the Rap, and while it might not make him more adept at analyzing symbolism, and he might see some bad words, it will teach him that you can find joy in reading.

Back