• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Elon and Charlotte Get Accredited

There's a handful of current and former JAGs on here if he ever needed it. His prior service probably squares that up too. PM or email me if he ever wants to talk jag.

Kudos to your bro. And while Richmond's not tier 1, it's not Elon. If you're not going on your dime, or if you have something lined up like that, then it's not as big of a deal. But it is mind boggling to me when people take on $150k in debt to go to the Elons/Charlottes/Centrals of the world without without some kind of connection or experience that is going to help them get hired.

To be fair to Central, it would probably only be around 60K, including living expenses (because who wants to live in Durham?). Central has at least a small amount of reputation, and reasonable tuition. The other two are straight up money pits.

To be fair to Central, it would probably only be around 60K, including living expenses (because who wants to live in Durham?). Central has at least a small amount of reputation, and reasonable tuition. The other two are straight up money pits.

Schools like Central are a great jumping off point for good students with lower LSAT scores. My buddy was first in his class at Central as a 1L, and transferred to Wake then graduated 3rd at Wake.

I would have to agree that I have heard some good things about Central's night program and have even known a few bright people to complete it. That being said I grew up in Durham and I don't think I would want to take on Alston Ave. at night time for any degree.

I have this same issue with the accrediting body of pharmacy schools as well. I just finished my PharmD in CH at Goat U and while my classmates and I did attend the #2 Pharmacy School in the nation (side note: that's the pharmacy school not the rest of the University!) it is very hard to find a job these days in the field of pharmacy. When we started the program 4 years ago we were told that upon graduation we would have our pick at 4-5 jobs and huge signing bonuses and all that, but before we could graduate what once was a huge shortage became a drastic oversupply of pharmacists. There used to only be 2 pharmacy schools in this state (UNC and Campbell) then UNC opened up a satellite campus out on the coast in Elizabeth City to try and help out with the demand in northeast NC because new grads didn't want to go there. Then Wingate University opened up their "farmacy" school and UNCG was trying to open up one last year but the folks in CH shut that down quick. At least they did something positive for us haha but not without a compromise. Now UNC will have a second satellite campus up here in Asheville and since UNCG got shot down for a pharmacy school High Point U said fine by us we are not under the UNC umbrella so why don't we open up one. So now this year there are going to be 4 full pharmacy schools and 2 satellite campuses associated with UNC putting out people with 4 year doctorate degrees into a fields that is super saturated. All the while they are telling these kids when they start they will be able to find jobs with no problem. It's pretty disheartening and I would hate to be these kids coming out in the next few years. Especially the good students who because of sheer numbers and having to compete with students who were accepted at all of these lower tier schools (basically "non-qualifiers" because they can't score high enough on the PCAT) because in the end they come out with the same degree but about 1/10th of the education.

I would have to agree that I have heard some good things about Central's night program and have even known a few bright people to complete it. That being said I grew up in Durham and I don't think I would want to take on Alston Ave. at night time for any degree.

I have this same issue with the accrediting body of pharmacy schools as well. I just finished my PharmD in CH at Goat U and while my classmates and I did attend the #2 Pharmacy School in the nation (side note: that's the pharmacy school not the rest of the University!) it is very hard to find a job these days in the field of pharmacy. When we started the program 4 years ago we were told that upon graduation we would have our pick at 4-5 jobs and huge signing bonuses and all that, but before we could graduate what once was a huge shortage became a drastic oversupply of pharmacists. There used to only be 2 pharmacy schools in this state (UNC and Campbell) then UNC opened up a satellite campus out on the coast in Elizabeth City to try and help out with the demand in northeast NC because new grads didn't want to go there. Then Wingate University opened up their "farmacy" school and UNCG was trying to open up one last year but the folks in CH shut that down quick. At least they did something positive for us haha but not without a compromise. Now UNC will have a second satellite campus up here in Asheville and since UNCG got shot down for a pharmacy school High Point U said fine by us we are not under the UNC umbrella so why don't we open up one. So now this year there are going to be 4 full pharmacy schools and 2 satellite campuses associated with UNC putting out people with 4 year doctorate degrees into a fields that is super saturated. All the while they are telling these kids when they start they will be able to find jobs with no problem. It's pretty disheartening and I would hate to be these kids coming out in the next few years. Especially the good students who because of sheer numbers and having to compete with students who were accepted at all of these lower tier schools (basically "non-qualifiers" because they can't score high enough on the PCAT) because in the end they come out with the same degree but about 1/10th of the education.

You should move to Rhode Island. That's like the one area in the entire state where people are still getting jobs- CVS hqs FTW.

It's a vicious cycle with no end in sight. Law schools will continue to lie about and manipulate employment data because US News has them all by the balls. There's no person or group of people with the needed combination of influence and honesty that can/will hit the brakes.

You should move to Rhode Island. That's like the one area in the entire state where people are still getting jobs- CVS hqs FTW.

There can't be someone else on this board from little Rhody, can there?

Hay from the East Bay

There can't be someone else on this board from little Rhody, can there?

Hay from the East Bay

Ha- I am like the board's ardent supporter of Rhode Island. I actually live on the East Side, but I'm moving to EG in two weeks. Where in the East Bay?

Ha- I am like the board's ardent supporter of Rhode Island. I actually live on the East Side, but I'm moving to EG in two weeks. Where in the East Bay?

I am currently living at home in Tiverton (graduated HS in Barrington and also lived in Bristol) but am going back down south this August to go to Wake Law.

I am currently living at home in Tiverton (graduated HS in Barrington and also lived in Bristol) but am going back down south this August to go to Wake Law.

Tiverton is beautiful in the summer. Enjoy! I took a similar path- rhode island- bayview girl- to wake to unc law.

Well, I can tell you that I'm pretty damn happy with my choice of Central after paying $3,500 per year in tuition, (granted, this was back in the early to mid 2000's). The lack of debt allowed me the freedom to get experience in civil litigation in lower-paying jobs that allowed for great training. I then hung a shingle with a partner, making over $100,000 in my first year, working about 40 hrs. a week and sometimes less. I haven't looked back since.

I turned down acceptance letters and partial scholarships from several expensive private law schools, and had to swallow some pride to go from an institution like WFU to Central, but honestly, the instruction there was surprisingly good, even if the administration was not the best. In the end, if you are smart and can interact well with people, you can be successful anywhere you want.

My mom is from Newport.

Wow- never knew that. That's actually where I'm getting married in August. I think it should be a fun destination for our out of town guests and awakeguy's family.

I am kind of surprised about Charlotte (heard some rumors that things were falling apart), but good for them.

If I'm being honest, we have too many law schools in this state (and I graduated from one of the new ones)

Waaay too many.

Back