• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Elton John v. Phil Colins?

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I'm going to go with Elton. Madman Across The Water and Yellow Brick Road are just damn near perfect albums. And while I love the early stuff Phil did with Genesis (the Gabriel years up through Duke), those songs were much more collaborative efforts with Gabriel, Rutherford, Hackett, etc.. The solo stuff from Phil and later Genesis stuff really doesn't do much for me. Seems to me that Elton collaborated exclusively with Taupin and Bernie pretty much just wrote the lyrics while Elton wrote the music.

Now if you were to compare Elton's skills on piano versus Phil's skills on drums, I'd give Phil the edge due to his prog years in Genesis.

This is the correct answer.

Both great, personally prefer Elton John when looking at the totality, but Phil is great to listen to as well.

Phil did write the buzz ball anthem:

*it's also his greatest song by ten miles and a top 100 of 80s.

Last edited:
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I see that you're the absolute opposite of me.

I never personally cared much for Paul Simon and his form of dweeb rock.

I never personally cared much for Paul Simon and his form of dweeb rock.

And he's an arrogant dick.

He played the Academy of Music in Philly. The Dixie Hummingbirds opened and tore the place up. People were trying to call them back as Simon took then stage. Midway into the concert, they came on stage to sing backup and the crowd nuts.

Simon was so pissed off that he finished two more songs and left the stage. The crowd was pissed and started leaving. All of a sudden the house lights flashed and an announcement was made -"Mr. Simon is returning to the stage."

He came back to play for another half hour or more and did a Hummingbird backed encore.

Later I was told that Larry Magid (the promoter) told Simon his short set breached his contract. If he didn't go back on stage for at least x minutes, he wouldn't be paid and would be responsible for all concert expenses (including refunds that they would gladly give).

paul simon is awesome

but this thread isn't really about him

elton is an incredible performer but lots of his props are due to bernie taupin too

phil collins was part of some sweet bands but his solo stuff was a little thin to me

And he's an arrogant dick.

He played the Academy of Music in Philly. The Dixie Hummingbirds opened and tore the place up. People were trying to call them back as Simon took then stage. Midway into the concert, they came on stage to sing backup and the crowd nuts.

Simon was so pissed off that he finished two more songs and left the stage. The crowd was pissed and started leaving. All of a sudden the house lights flashed and an announcement was made -"Mr. Simon is returning to the stage."

He came back to play for another half hour or more and did a Hummingbird backed encore.

Later I was told that Larry Magid (the promoter) told Simon his short set breached his contract. If he didn't go back on stage for at least x minutes, he wouldn't be paid and would be responsible for all concert expenses (including refunds that they would gladly give).

You've told that one before.

paul simon is awesome

but this thread isn't really about him

elton is an incredible performer but lots of his props are due to bernie taupin too

phil collins was part of some sweet bands but his solo stuff was a little thin to me

I wouldn't think townie and I have similar musical tastes, but this is dead on.

FfaF/LLB >>>||>>> Stu-stu-studio

Back