• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ending the Norm-Breaking Escalation

Gooner

Pit League Fantasy Football Commissioner
Reaction score
Hey Democrats, Fighting Fair is for Suckers

Interesting article from Politico Magazine about the Democrats taking GOP strategies from the past decade plus and turning them around on the GOP. I know reading long articles isn't a strong suit for most of you, so here's a list of some of the suggestions:

• Grant statehood to D.C. and Puerto Rico
  • Break California into multiple states (article suggests 7)
  • Expand Supreme Court and federal courts and pack with liberal judges
  • Institute multi-member House districts
  • Pass a new Voting Rights Act that includes automatic voter registration nationwide, felon enfranchisement, and barring voter ID laws
  • Grant citizenship to undocumented immigrants

Now I don't agree with every suggestion made in the article, but I do agree with the overarching premise that Democrats should no longer feel obligated to take the high road and try to act according to norms that the GOP shoved aside years ago. Fire sometimes has to be fought with fire, and if we want to make sure that the Trump Era is a one-off, secluded attempt at destroying American democracy, then Democrats have to act now.

Thoughts?

I agree, and stupid fucking austerity politics should be added to the list, deficit hawk Dems need to be sidelined.

Y'all and the author are having problems counting to 60.

Y'all and the author are having problems counting to 60.

The article states in it that such things would happen the next time Democrats could do them, which could be as early as 2020. The article (and I) are under no illusions that you can do this without the necessary votes. It is simply suggestions for what could (should?) happen the next time Democrats are in the position to do so.

I’m fine with aggressive strategies to accomplish good things.

Just don’t follow their lead down the path to constantly lying. And being willing to hurt people and our national interests merely to gain or maintain power.

I think these guys went up the down escalations too many times.

Back