• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Entrepreneur Question

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
As an entrepreneur entering my 11th year in business for my company (a industrial distributorship with my business partner) we are continuing to look for new ideas to grow the company as you always need new customers. All of our current customers were obtained through either cold calling or vendor leads. I don't know if any of you have tried any cold calling these days but this idea is about dead as most places we call on either do not have a receptionist (cost cutting measure) or they have such an advanced phone system, you can't get to who you need (this is the plan to keep new vendors away).

How does social & business media fit into the economy as far as contacts go? If as an example I were trying to get a lead at the new Caterpillar plant in Winston and one of you worked there. Would you openly respond to an invite over linkedin or Facebook to communicate with me (assuming I found out through a search of either that you worked there)? I turned 50 this year and the way to reach people has changed drastically in the last 5 years. No one wants to talk on the phone anymore so they are practically unreachable unless you have a reference.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The best way to find someone in NC hiding behind an LLC is to find their Annual Report on the NC Secretary of State website. It requires a phone number to be listed. Now some are still behind a law firm, but you can track a whole lot of people down that way.

Probably doesn't work for a Caterpillar plant though. And no, most people would not respond to a LinkedIn or Facebook invitation.

Trade shows/conferences
Probably some rep agencies that can make the connection for a fee
Hire/contract a sales/bus dev person to make intros

I'm guessing the decision makers for picking an industrial distributor are not relying heavily on social media

LinkedIn is good to find the name, potentially get connected - calling to identify who the person is still works, just having a name will help you get through the phone or email barrier. Then I would say just prioritize your prospects and just drop by and drop off business cards and bagels and shit. Its amazing how much people want to talk for free bagel or donuts or cookies or something.

Honestly, LinkedIn is a great resource to connect with people. I would also highly suggest networking events.

Back