• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ernie Wiggins

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting Ernie Wiggins on the beach in North Myrtle today. Since I was born after Ernie graduated from WFU, I never saw him play but I’ve heard and read about what a great backcourt he and Jackie Murdock formed from 1954-57. Both were great shooters, scored over 1000 points and are among the WFU career leaders in FT%. Playing on Murray Greason’s last three teams, Wiggins and Murdock (together with Jack Williams, Jim Gilley and others) led the Deacs to a record of 57-28 and three top 4 finishes in the ACC. Unfortunately, the Deacs lost 4 close games to eventual national champion UNC in 1957. Perhaps some old timers on the board remember Ernie and can share some stories about those WFU teams.

Behind the Mar Vista on the beach. He doesn’t look 82. More like 62.

Behind the Mar Vista on the beach. He doesn’t look 82. More like 62.

I was just a young high school student down in SE NC when they played. The big ACC games were on the Tobacco Radio Network out of WPTF in Raleigh with the great Ray Reeve doing the commentary. Not too much chance to watch, but TV was just starting via Broadvision. (may have been on WUNC tv) Some games were televised, (usually UNC) but there was no commentary, just the crowd noise. The score was posted on a 4x4 chalk-board just off the floor next to the end line and updated on a score with a flash look to see. You had to listen on the radio to get any play-by-play or other comment info.

So, saw them rarely, heard their exploits via radio often. But.... they were GOOD!!!

They could shoot. With a three point line, they would have really put up some numbers. They were both close to 50% from the field and 85% from the free throw line.

Raldeac, close, but Ray Reeve was on WRAL- not WPTF- Jim Reid on WPTF. Great memories, however!

Raldeac, close, but Ray Reeve was on WRAL- not WPTF- Jim Reid on WPTF. Great memories, however!

Thanks, maybe both our info is a bit mixed. I had to look it up. Ray Reeve was of course the sport man on WRAL-TV. But. prior in the '50s the Tobacco Radio Network was the main/only basketball network, no tv. (changed quickly after 1957 UNC undefeated season) About the only night radio (NC) station we could get was WPTF. 120 miles away. (WTB - clear channel Charlotte not into basketball as I recall).

But appears there was a WRAL-AM station, I didn't recall the AM # or that we could hear it at night.
So, found this: "Reeve was the long time radio voice of the North Carolina State Wolfpack and was the first broadcaster inducted to the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame. & "He is best known as the first voice of Atlantic Coast Conference basketball over the Tobacco Sports Network—a radio network formed by Capitol Broadcasting Company in 1948 to carry the region’s collegiate games.

Reeve’s distinct play-by-play style and raspy voice endeared him to listeners throughout the ACC region. Sports historians credit the early growth of the league in part to Reeve’s compelling basketball broadcasts.

As the ACC evolved, Reeve narrowed his broadcasts to NC State athletics. He gained widespread popularity as the voice of Wolfpack basketball and football during the eras of Coaches Everett Case and Earle Edwards.

So, it seems Reeve preceded Jim Reid with Wolfpack sports - I had always thought WPTF was the only long-time Wolfpack station.
Thanks for the remembering comments. (Good NCSU basketball teams back then too)

Thanks, maybe both our info is a bit mixed. I had to look it up. Ray Reeve was of course the sport man on WRAL-TV. But. prior in the '50s the Tobacco Radio Network was the main/only basketball network, no tv. (changed quickly after 1957 UNC undefeated season) About the only night radio (NC) station we could get was WPTF. 120 miles away. (WTB - clear channel Charlotte not into basketball as I recall).

But appears there was a WRAL-AM station, I didn't recall the AM # or that we could hear it at night.
So, found this: "Reeve was the long time radio voice of the North Carolina State Wolfpack and was the first broadcaster inducted to the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame. & "He is best known as the first voice of Atlantic Coast Conference basketball over the Tobacco Sports Network—a radio network formed by Capitol Broadcasting Company in 1948 to carry the region’s collegiate games.

Reeve’s distinct play-by-play style and raspy voice endeared him to listeners throughout the ACC region. Sports historians credit the early growth of the league in part to Reeve’s compelling basketball broadcasts.

As the ACC evolved, Reeve narrowed his broadcasts to NC State athletics. He gained widespread popularity as the voice of Wolfpack basketball and football during the eras of Coaches Everett Case and Earle Edwards.

So, it seems Reeve preceded Jim Reid with Wolfpack sports - I had always thought WPTF was the only long-time Wolfpack station.
Thanks for the remembering comments. (Good NCSU basketball teams back then too)

I think I recall reading in Dan Collins’ book on the history of ACC basketball that the 1957 WF team took UNC to the wire in 4 games, including the ACC Chamionship game. IIRC, Wiggins missed a long jumper to tie in the closing seconds. Of course, UNC went on to win the NCAA over Kansas and Wilt the Stilt in 1957. I’m older than I would prefer, but I wish I had been old enough to remember ACC games from the late 50’s and early 60’s. BTW, Mr Wiggins was a real gentleman when I met him and very humble. I hope to see him when he returns to the beach next October.

Back