• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN commentator on RG3: “He’s kind of black, but he’s not really”

found on reddit:
HUCqG.jpg

As well he should. I can't believe he said all that, and apparently really believes it.

I absolutely do not think ESPN should suspend or fire him. He has a history of saying dumb / misleading shit. ESPN knew what they were getting and they wanted it...he delivered what he was paid to deliver. Our problem should be with ESPN not necessarily Parker. This is Rush all over again.

Rush has a long history of racist and misogynistic statements. You can't be serious in thinking Rush was done wrong by ESPN. How about his NFL Bloods and Crips statement?

Rush has a long history of racist and misogynistic statements. You can't be serious in thinking Rush was done wrong by ESPN. How about his NFL Bloods and Crips statement?

I think you missed his point - espn should have known what it was getting with Parker, who has a history of saying dumb things, just like Rush

I think you missed his point - espn should have known what it was getting with Parker, who has a history of saying dumb things, just like Rush

Thank you...don't know how that point could be missed.

I absolutely do not think ESPN should suspend or fire him. He has a history of saying dumb / misleading shit. ESPN knew what they were getting and they wanted it...he delivered what he was paid to deliver. Our problem should be with ESPN not necessarily Parker. This is Rush all over again.

Good point. ESPN hires these clowns and pays them to be controversial.

I'm not missing your "point", because it doesn't as you think it does. Yo can expect an announcer to be provocative. Yo can expect him to create controversy. You can hope that he says some really stupid things to get people watch o see what may come out of his/her mouth next.

What you don't plan on and can never accept is overt racism. That's the point.

ESPN made an egregious error in hiring Rush. He had a long history of making racist statements. It was virtually inevitable he would do so on ESPN. It would be unbelievable to me if ESPN didn't warn Rush about this. He got what he deserved.

Rob Parker has no such history that I know of. They could never have expected him to go racist. It isn't worth it to them to have such rants.

The two hires and expectations aren't at all alike. You have no point.

ESPN made an egregious error in hiring Rush. He had a long history of making racist statements. It was virtually inevitable he would do so on ESPN.

Maybe you do get it but just don't realize it.

Of all people on this board, you should among the last five to be condescending as you are being here.

wakephan, my interpretation is that Parker said he's not sure if RGIII embraces being black and that concerns him.

I'll add a little bit more. It's dissappointing as someone who is proud to be black to see a high profile young black man possibly saying that the best way for him to be famous is to disassociate from being black. There have been similar fears expressed above other black athletes. I used MJ during the Gantt-Helms election as a reference above.

The Redskins probably have one of the largest black fanbases in the NFL. They had the only black QB to win a Super Bowl. RGIII has a great opportunity to be a positive role model, but it's not that positive if the model for success includes not being defined as black. In my opinion, it stokes a fear that he won't embrace the black community in DC because that it may hurt his mainstream appeal.

I don't expect folks here to understand that, especially how personal it is. The best way to explain it is how you feel when you meet somebody who went to Wake and they say "Wake Forest is just where I went to school. That will never change. I don't have to be defined by that. I wouldn't call myself a Wake Forest fan." You'd be disappointed that someone didn't fully embrace an opportunity to be in this family.

That's how I feel when I hear a black person say something like what RGIII said.

I just remembered the last time I was called racist in a conversation about RGIII. I said that before the draft that if the Skins picked RGIII that I'd be concerned that he'd be the next Jason Campbell. Go and I think Skins jumped on me and called me racist for lumping two black QBs together. Of course, I was referring to Campbell as the last QB the Skins took in the first round.

PH, why does RG or Tiger for that matter have to embrace being black or half black as Tiger is. Or half black black as Obama is? What is there to embrace anymore? We don't have to embrace if RDIII or Tiger are great athletes. They are great athletes period, just as Derek Jeter is and Joe Montana is and Peyton Manning is.

I don't want anybody telling me RGIII is a great football player or Tiger is a great golfer because they are black. They are great athletes period. I do not need Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson to beat their respective drums. I know they are great just as I know Derek, Albert, Peyton & Michael are great.

RJ missed Skins' point, badly.

Both Reff and Ph and gloriously wrong, while disagreeing with one another.

In other news, the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

RJ missed Skins' point, badly.

Both Reff and Ph and gloriously wrong, while disagreeing with one another.

In other news, the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

"I absolutely do not think ESPN should suspend or fire him. He has a history of saying dumb / misleading shit. ESPN knew what they were getting and they wanted it...he delivered what he was paid to deliver. Our problem should be with ESPN not necessarily Parker. This is Rush all over again."

Slim I understand his point perfectly. He's completely wrong and I have explained why.

ESPN understands Parker would say stupid things but there are always limits. Everyone who is in that part of the business understands there is a very bright line that you cannot cross. It's not their fault he did something he had never done before and knows shouldn't be done.

Especially after Rush's racist actions, you can believe this was explained to Parker and everyone who takes opinion jobs at ESPN.

If Parker relentlessly bagged on a player, coach or even another announcer, it would have been classless but acceptable.

On the other hand, they knew Rush had a history of making racist statements. They should not have been shocked at his antics. They got what they deserved.

Last edited:
The guy basically said RGIII isn't really an Afircan-American because he doesn't think or act the right way, although he does have some good hair. How can you get away with calling out an athlete, or anyone, for not really being white, or black, or Indian, or whatever. The premise behind his statement is that it is a requirement to truly be a black person, you have to look, think and act a certain way. That is simply WAY out of bounds. Why should RGIII, or anyone else be subjected to that kind of garbage, social pressure or whatever you want to call it? There is no place for that, and apparently Steven A. was like, "Whoa, WTF are you saying?!?"

Back