• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

Is the Miller Center in the pro column now?

ETA: otherwise completely agree with your sentiment

it should not be challenging to sell the Wake job to a mid-major coach

Very sobering post on the KU board about how others view us right now:

"Makes sense, but Wake is a chit job. Really chitty since ACC expanded. They fired that Dino guy who had decent records and hired a damn loser coach in Jeff [name redacted]. It was freaking stupid. So if Ron Wellman (athletic director ) sticks around your boss is a nut who might just get fired any moment. Then you face the prospect of working for a new guy who may want to fire you and bring his own guy in. I'd go after a different job. Wake sucks."

We need to fire Ron Wellman right now. As I have said before, I would immediately hire Jim Grobe as our AD.

"Makes sense, but Wake is a chit job. Really chitty since ACC expanded. They fired that Dino guy who had decent records and hired a damn loser coach in Jeff [name redacted]. It was freaking stupid. So if Ron Wellman (athletic director ) sticks around your boss is a nut who might just get fired any moment. Then you face the prospect of working for a new guy who may want to fire you and bring his own guy in. I'd go after a different job. Wake sucks."

We need to fire Ron Wellman right now. As I have said before, I would immediately hire Jim Grobe as our AD.

I am not going to put too much stock into some corn-fed idiot's rambling.

Jim Grobe? Did not expect you to say that in light of your previous comment about RW not having a Twitter feed and the college sports landscaping passing him by.

One dude? I didn't see much agreement that Wake is a good job because the stench of Bz is having long term ramifications.
FIFY and yes, just one dude. What I see from the rest of the board is basically the same range of views that existed 4 years ago and has existed for years. Wake is considered a tough place to coach for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with Bz...including the other top tier NC schools (Duke/UNC), recruiting, and small student body/alum....and all that especially given we're in the ACC. They are adding "expanded ACC".

Wellman out - I'm on board with that.
Grobe to AD? I do not understand the people who want to hire as AD a guy who just did the radio show circuit complaining about how hard it is to win at WFU. Ultimately, Grobe caught LOWF disease, caught it bad, and instead of working to win started playing not to lose. I think Grobe is a fine human being but WFU AD? DO NOT WANT.

Grobe? Really? Being an AD is a demanding job. Grobe seems like he is ready to chill with the wife.

DR - I am surprised you would over-react to the opinions of a few outsiders. We all know Wake is a great school and a program that has been great and is yearning to be great again. Any coach that is smart enough for us to want is smart enough to know that as well. (All that is independent of whether we should get rid of Wellman. The point is that we should not get rid of Wellman because of the opinion of our program expressed by a few lunatic, entitled, and bitter KU fans.)

And, you must be trolling or APD'ing on the Grobe for AD comment - he is a football coach, not an administrator.

Grobe? Really? Being an AD is a demanding job. Grobe seems like he is ready to chill with the wife.

Grobe to AD, Childress as basketball coach, Larue as football coach, CP3 as cheerleader coach and Duncan as the mascot!!!

Part of the reason is because a handful of us adopted MIKE WHITE 18 months ago and have gotten to know his playing style, recruiting chops, energy, etc. that is still pretty much an unknown on Manning. Plus you've got a clear positive trend in performance, especially compared to the program's normal state. Not sure if you've ready the long thread started a while ago but there is a lot of good stuff in there.

I've read all the threads. However, just because IApreciateIt identified White at the beginning of the season doesn't mean he's better than Manning. Manning's team was younger and he did more with it.

I just looked up that Athlon picked Tulsa to finish last in the conference in his first year after an "exodus of talent". So I will admit Manning's first year might be more impressive than I thought. Maybe Manning's very good. I just feel more comfortable with White since he took over a team that was clearly garbage and has had three good years to Manning's two.

Tulsa should be expected to compete for the conference title next year.

FWIW, I rate White and Manning about the same. You're splitting hairs if you're differentiating them. I prefer them to guys like Amaker and Mack, but that's just because Mack rubs me the wrong way. Mack is the more solid hire, but I see White and Manning as having higher ceilings. And lower floors.

As someone in Cincy, I'd agree with this.

One thing about Manning. He's not a liar. So Wake IS pursuing him. How hotly, no one knows. If or when he is hired it will be a wait and see tenure. This is not the homerun Wellman wanted to end his legacy. If this is the best that he can do with the remaining talent available, Wellman's legacy will be remembered not for raising money and acquirng real estate, but for trashing our signature program.

Yeah, but it's been shown you can win in men's basketball at Wake. It's certainly not anywhere near the uphill battle in hoops at Wake as it is in football.
True, but that doesn't mean much other than having greater respect for the coaches that made the wins possible.

I don't really understand where people get the perception that Wake has been considered a top job worthy of attracting anyone it wants. It's a tough place to coach...not the toughest and potentially very rewarding but still difficult compared to most others at the same level.

One thing about Manning. He's not a liar. So Wake IS pursuing him. How hotly, no one knows. If or when he is hired it will be a wait and see tenure. This is not the homerun Wellman wanted to end his legacy. If this is the best that he can do with the remaining talent available, Wellman's legacy will be remembered not for raising money and acquirng real estate, but for trashing our signature program.

THIS

I absolutely do not value Manning above Mack. I think that's pretty silly.

I prefer Manning over Mack, but mostly for 'gut' reasons. Basically, I think he'd be able to parlay his unique background to more recruiting success than his written resume would otherwise indicate, and I think there's a bit more of a curiosity / "intrigue" factor with Manning than with yet another branch off the Prosser tree.

That said, I obviously can't quibble with Mack's strong NCAA record or recruiting success at Xavier; I just happen to think that neither of those factors will translate to Wake particularly well, given that (i) his honeymoon period will be relatively lukewarm as many Wake fans may just frown and say, "Wait, that tall blond guy who was an assistant here back in like '02?", and that (ii) recruiting legitimate, 4-star high-major talent to Xavier hasn't been a particularly difficult task in quite some time now.

Back