• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

But I wish those of us who overrate Wake Forest were in charge of convincing candidates to take the job. Instead we've got the kings of the LOWF crowd doing it.
So you think Wellman isn't trying to sell Wake as a great job...and you think coaches would listen to you over Wellman? Wow.
Yea, but it's the perception of Wellman that's killing us.
And you know this how? Because you want to believe it? Shaka has reportedly been offered 3m, the same as Marquette. He turned them down immediately. He at least thought about our offer over the weekend....but Wellman killed our chances? Got it.

Exactly what did Wellman do to scare off all these mythical coaches, other than have a great rep as a boss and support his chosen coach in the face of pretty strong criticism? I guess you don't value a boss that is a strong advocate for you. Most people do.

What Wellman did wrong was drive Wake basketball into a ditch over the last 4 years nuking the attractiveness of this job.

So you think Wellman isn't trying to sell Wake as a great job...and you think coaches would listen to you over Wellman? Wow.
And you know this how? Because you want to believe it? Shaka has reportedly been offered 3m, the same as Marquette. He turned them down immediately. He at least thought about our offer over the weekend....but Wellman killed our chances? Got it.

Exactly what did Wellman do to scare off all these mythical coaches, other than have a great rep as a boss and support his chosen coach in the face of pretty strong criticism? I guess you don't value a boss that is a strong advocate for you. Most people do.

Disagree, there is something going wrong here. Virginia Tech hired a GREAT coach. USF was going to hire Masiello. Hiring Manning would put us on USF's level. That is fucking unacceptable--we have a great basketball tradition, are in the best basketball conference, and have sent top-notch players to the NBA. On top of that, Wake is a fantastic academic school where hoops comes first.

Disagree, there is something going wrong here. Virginia Tech hired a GREAT coach. USF was going to hire Masiello. Hiring Manning would put us on USF's level. That is fucking unacceptable--we have a great basketball tradition, are in the best basketball conference, and have sent top-notch players to the NBA. On top of that, Wake is a fantastic academic school where hoops comes first.

ehhhhhh

If Wellman was such a wonderful boss, a great AD, etc., we would not be where we are.

What Wellman did wrong was drive Wake basketball into a ditch over the last 4 years nuking the attractiveness of this job.
That's soooo LOWF...maybe the most LOWF. Do you seriously believe Wake bball is that fragile?

I'm pissed at Wellman too, but I will say the Buzz Williams to VT thing seems to have occurred because of Buzz's friendship with Mick Cronin, who apparently had a good relationship with the VT AD (former Cincy AD) and helped facilitate the move. Don't know that Buzz would have come to Wake without that connection.

I'm pissed at Wellman too, but I will say the Buzz Williams to VT thing seems to have occurred because of Buzz's friendship with Mick Cronin, who apparently had a good relationship with the VT AD (former Cincy AD) and helped facilitate the move. Don't know that Buzz would have come to Wake without that connection.

Still doesn't explain why we are hiring on the level of University of South Florida...

Really solid coaching record on that resume Wellman. What a joke.

Maybe Wellman would have better connections if he was more progressive. Attends events like Villa 7, etc.

If Wellman leaked Manning's name to gauge fan reaction, all you AD spies report back and let him know what we think of his potential C-list hire. Any other shitty candidates you would like to leak? Let us know and the Fuck you Wellman page can be promptly bumped.

Plus the dude makes his living off of recruiting JuCos I read some recent stuff about Marquette fans being concerned with his recruiting philosophy.

That's a non-starter at Wake.

I'm curious as to how people define "great basketball tradition"

I think when people actually take some time to analyze... they'll realize that we'll land a coach that is on our level.

Back