• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN First Take

SAS?? Gross.

But I like Cowherd, so I apparently don't have much room there. :couch:

I'll agree that SAS has become more reasonable over the years. He's not terrible to bring in for an occasional opinion here and there.

Skip Bayless, however? Should die in a fire tomorrow. What a wretched, miserable human being.

The difference in my opinion between SAS, Dickie V vs. Skip Bayless is that SAS and Vitale don't say completely ridiculous things. You may not like their style or delivery, but it's not along the lines of Skip who is either dumb or just trying to get a rise.

Plus, SAS and Vitale go far with their passion for the sport they cover... Skip just likes to argue his point and has no love for anything. In fact, he has no soul. Die spic, Die...

If one of their fights ends in a murder/suicide, I guess it would make it all worthwhile. Until that day though, I'd rather watch Dick Clark interview Muhammad Ali.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ChrisPaul3 again.

First Take was much better when they spent less time on 1st and 10. They still occasionally have in-studio guests, but invariably they just end up being a guest on....you guessed it, 1st and 10.

The difference in my opinion between SAS, Dickie V vs. Skip Bayless is that SAS and Vitale don't say completely ridiculous things. You may not like their style or delivery, but it's not along the lines of Skip who is either dumb or just trying to get a rise.

Plus, SAS and Vitale go far with their passion for the sport they cover... Skip just likes to argue his point and has no love for anything. In fact, he has no soul. Die spic, Die...

Much like Jim Rome has developed a persona as an ass who tells people/athletes how it is (even if it's actually not the truth and just meant to get people worked up), I think Skip has taken on the personality of the guy who will say anything to get a rise out of people. I think Skip Bayless has kept his job because 1/10 times he says something ridiculous and outlandish he's right, and the rest of the time, he's succeeded in getting people to argue/talk.

Vitale... well I can't say anything nice about him. He's such a UNC/Duke homer, he makes me sick. I also can't remember the last time he said something intelligible/insightful about college basketballs. All he does is rant and rave about the diaper dandies... wtf...

skip says most of the shit he does for lulz.
he doesnt really believe Rodgers isnt clutch or that Tebow is really good. he just says that shit because it drives conversation.

now his lack of belief in lebron? that's real. skip is one of the few people on ESPN (aka Bron's asskissing network) that will call his bullshit.

Does SAS refer to stephen a smith? I didn't know he was still on the network

Also I like how Cowherd's Wall rant used Rondo as the golden point guard standard. Lol

Last edited:
Much like Jim Rome has developed a persona as an ass who tells people/athletes how it is (even if it's actually not the truth and just meant to get people worked up), I think Skip has taken on the personality of the guy who will say anything to get a rise out of people. I think Skip Bayless has kept his job because 1/10 times he says something ridiculous and outlandish he's right, and the rest of the time, he's succeeded in getting people to argue/talk.

Vitale... well I can't say anything nice about him. He's such a UNC/Duke homer, he makes me sick. I also can't remember the last time he said something intelligible/insightful about college basketballs. All he does is rant and rave about the diaper dandies... wtf...

See, I haven't heard that as much lately. And, watching the Duke/OSU game, you could hear it in his voice that Duke was going to lose. He seemed more calm (I watched half at my house, half at a bar, so I probably missed a rant or 2). When he was calm, he was giving lots of respect to OSU, and praising Sullinger for not going pro. But, I'm in no way an apologist, I'm just saying he doesn't annoy me nearly as much as he used to and appreciate the effort he puts forth in slamming the lack of playoff system in Football, the NBA for luring these inexperienced kids into the pro's too early, and his love for college basketball in general.

See, I haven't heard that as much lately. And, watching the Duke/OSU game, you could hear it in his voice that Duke was going to lose. He seemed more calm (I watched half at my house, half at a bar, so I probably missed a rant or 2). When he was calm, he was giving lots of respect to OSU, and praising Sullinger for not going pro. But, I'm in no way an apologist, I'm just saying he doesn't annoy me nearly as much as he used to and appreciate the effort he puts forth in slamming the lack of playoff system in Football, the NBA for luring these inexperienced kids into the pro's too early, and his love for college basketball in general.

I was watching some of the NC State v. Virginia ACC title game from 1983 on ESPN Classic the other day and Vitale was on the broadcast. It was funny because, one he sounded much younger obviously, but he also talked about the game in front of him and was analizing it, you know basically doing what an analyst is supposed to do. It's amazing the difference between then and now, he's mades himself the emphasis and not the game with his style now.

we keep espn/espn2 on at my part time job so i usually will leave it on first take for the first 2 hours so that i don't have to listen/watch sportscenter 5 times in a row.

i don't love the show but i don't mind it. i think if you go into knowing that Skip is just going to say things so people will argue with him he is tolerable. and i agree that the back-and-forth between him and SAS is hilarious. and whoever said rob parker is miserable is absolutely correct

Charles Barkley told Dan Patrick, "I hate Skip Bayless more than any person in the world. Thanks for doing your show so I don't have to watch that a-hole."

The rise of Tebow is seriously the best thing to happen to this show

that and the Lebron's falling on his face in the NBA Finals.

actually the NBA Finals was probably the best thing to happen to ESPN for a while. all their radio shows and roundtable TV shows were on fire then.

Back