• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN pushing ACC to add 9th conference game

I like it. I want the SEC to do it too. If we are risking undefeated and one-loss seasons, they should too.

With the 4 team playoff teams shouldn't be as worried about having to go undefeated. Might as well play an extra conference game with these mega-conferences.

I like it. I want the SEC to do it too. If we are risking undefeated and one-loss seasons, they should too.

I'm not sure I am a fan of this idea. I have gotten spoiled with playing good OOC matchups recently (Auburn twice, Georgia, A&M, Bama etc). I think those will become few and far between with 9 conference games and South Carolina. All due respect to Virginia and Pitt, but I'd rather play a name from OOC....

I'm not sure I am a fan of this idea. I have gotten spoiled with playing good OOC matchups recently (Auburn twice, Georgia, A&M, Bama etc). I think those will become few and far between with 9 conference games and South Carolina. All due respect to Virginia and Pitt, but I'd rather play a name from OOC....

Didn't you guys play both South Carolina State and The Citadel this past season? Would hate for you to lose one of those match-ups.:thumbsup:

I don't see why these games have to go away.

Do your schedule in three year segments.

Year 1 FCS at home, Name OOC opponent on the road, South Carolina at home
Year 2 FCS at home, Name OOC opponent at home, South Carolina on the road
Year 3 FCS at home, Notre Dame at home, South Carolina at home
Year 4 FCS at home, Name OOC at home, South Carolina on the road
Year 5 FCS at home, Name OOC on the road, South Carolina at Home
Year 6 FCS at home, Notre Dame on the road, South Carolina on the road

So in six years, you could do two home and home series against two power conference teams like Georgia and Auburn in addition to seeing Notre dame twice and South Carolina every year.

So in six years, you could do two home and home series against two power conference teams like Georgia and Auburn in addition to seeing Notre dame twice and South Carolina every year.

Except that only gives them 6 home games every other year. A school like Clemson or FSU might accept a 6-game home schedule every 5th year or so, but certainly not every other year (unless the playoff committee decides to REALLY reward tough OOC schedules).

Last edited:

Should have been more clear. I know they could make it happen, if they wanted to, but I don't see them dumping the two cupcakes. Those games are necessary evils. I think they would just view the extra ACC game as the Georgia/Auburn replacement game, which would suck.

No major conference school is going to play only 6 home games per season with any regularity. That's leaving waaaaaay too much money on the table.

The Pac-10 and Big 12 have played 9 conference games the last couple of years. The Big 10 is going to 9 conference games next year. If Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon and USC can find a way to make 9 conference games work, the ACC and SEC can too.

With the 4 team playoff teams shouldn't be as worried about having to go undefeated. Might as well play an extra conference game with these mega-conferences.

If anything, strength of schedule is going to become more important and they should want that extra conference game as opposed to playing some directional, lowly rated school.

A move to eventually add a ninth Atlantic Coast Conference football game to future schedules could bring even more value to the University of Louisville’s transition to its new league.

At conference meetings this week, the ACC is expected to continue discussions about the creation of an all-ACC television network in conjunction with the league’s broadcasting agreement with ESPN.

Creation of a network probably would call for an additional conference game to build more content for the programming schedule. It also would bring in more money for member schools, which already receive more than $20 million apiece annually from the ACC’s contract with ESPN.

But one U of L trustee said both an expanded schedule and a TV network appear to be imminent, and no one seems to be denying it.

“An ACC network has to be an inevitable thing at this point,” U of L trustee Jonathan Blue said, citing recent trends in sports business. “There’s too much money involved for it not to be.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...07/1028/rsslink&nclick_check=1?nclick_check=1

The Pac-10 and Big 12 have played 9 conference games the last couple of years. The Big 10 is going to 9 conference games next year. If Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon and USC can find a way to make 9 conference games work, the ACC and SEC can too.

Other than USC and Stanford, who in either of those conferences has an annual OOC rival like a good number of the ACC and SEC schools do? And then, if you are an ACC school, tack on a regular Notre Dame game every 2.8 years? The budget math just doesn't work, unless ESPN gives the conference an offer they can't refuse.

Other than USC and Stanford, who in either of those conferences has an annual OOC rival like a good number of the ACC and SEC schools do? And then, if you are an ACC school, tack on a regular Notre Dame game every 2.8 years? The budget math just doesn't work, unless ESPN gives the conference an offer they can't refuse.

Even with the 9th game, Ohio State has scheduled home and home series with UNC, Oregon (who also is playing 9 games), Texas (9 conf games) and Oklahoma. Michigan has series set with Arkansas, UCLA (9 games) and VT. Texas has home and homes with ND, Maryland (yes, Maryland) and USC. The fact is that the ACC already agreed to play 9 conference games until ND joined the mix; so, if a 9 game schedule was not a problem two years ago, why is it suddenly a problem now?

BTW, the Big 10 is starting the 9 game conference schedule in 2016 not 2014.

James said UM is decidedly in favor of a nine-game conference schedule, especially since it wouldn’t impact the Miami-Florida State rivalry. - See more at: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/cane...canes-uniforms-and-more/#sthash.QcF71Mkl.dpuf

A move to a nine-game schedule and a potential ESPN-controlled ACC channel are expected to be on the agenda this week at the conference’s winter meetings in Fort Lauderdale. Miami Athletic Director Blake James told the Post an ACC version of ESPN’s soon-to-be-launched SEC Network is still “a concept,” but “it’ll be interesting to see where the conversation goes over the next few days.”

- See more at: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/cane...canes-uniforms-and-more/#sthash.QcF71Mkl.dpuf

Even with the 9th game, Ohio State has scheduled home and home series with UNC, Oregon (who also is playing 9 games), Texas (9 conf games) and Oklahoma. Michigan has series set with Arkansas, UCLA (9 games) and VT. Texas has home and homes with ND, Maryland (yes, Maryland) and USC. The fact is that the ACC already agreed to play 9 conference games until ND joined the mix; so, if a 9 game schedule was not a problem two years ago, why is it suddenly a problem now?

BTW, the Big 10 is starting the 9 game conference schedule in 2016 not 2014.

The Big 10 teams play their annual rivals as conference games - schools like FSU, Clemson and Georgia Tech play their yearly rivals OOC. None of them are going to want to have to lose a home game of revenue every other year to add an extra conference game.

Back