• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN's ratings down 32% in primetime and 20% in total day average viewership

Is this not the way it has always been?

The Black Sox scandal will end baseball.

DCDeac nails it. ESPN is it's best competition. I get the news I care about from ScoreCenter.

Now if ESPN ratings for actual sports is down during college football season, they may be more worried.

This is correct, at the very least. The general trend of sports fandom has only increased in the Internet age. It's never been easier to be a sports fan.

Absolutely. Especially if you're a fan of a non-local team. With all the media offerings, I can watch the Bears fail to live up to expectations; the Spurs endure a crushing let-down; and see [Redacted] take Wake basketball to never-before-seen accomplishments, here at home in the Atlanta 'burbs.

Now if ESPN ratings for actual sports is down during college football season, they may be more worried.

SportsCenter is sometimes the best way to know something major is on another channel. When they're playing live bowling or cheerleading, you know you're missing a golf major, NFL playoff game, or World Series game somewhere else.

In the process of cutting the "cable wire"...if I don't get a password for watch espn for the apple tv...no more espn in my house...

Yeah this is me too. When we get back from vacation, we're cutting the cord. I'm getting all the baseball and Fox Soccer I can.

Combine the fact that ESPN has continuously been getting worse and focusing more on the personalities of their "sports"casters and less on actual sports, and the notion that some folks just get tired of the Yankees, Lakers, SEC, and sports scandal laden broadcasts. I loved Fox Sports Kansas City when I lived out there, and will probably lean towards Fox Sports South when I get home. ESPN sucks, and has sucked for some time. Go-to for live broadcasts only...

Live broadcasts are really the only thing worth watching on ESPN. Everything else is just Lebron/Yankees/Patriots/SEC football. MLB Network is far superior when it comes to highlights.

My fingers are crossed for FOX's new channel.

You guys are going to be sorely disappointed if you're hoping Fox will be straight news and highlights.

Has anyone even considered the possibility that a growing disgust among the public regarding things like the greed, use of PEDs, and criminal behavior of many professional athletes (and team owners) has contributed to an overall lower public interest in following professional sports today?

Did you read the initial post?

"On the other hand, NBCSN, Golf Channel, MLB Network, NFL Network, and Fox Soccer all saw increases in year-to-year viewership."

Has anyone even considered the possibility that a growing disgust among the public regarding things like the greed, use of PEDs, and criminal behavior of many professional athletes (and team owners) has contributed to an overall lower public interest in following professional sports today?

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

You guys are going to be sorely disappointed if you're hoping Fox will be straight news and highlights.

True. What part of FOX do people not understand?

NBC got the Premier League rights. ESPN can fuck off and die for all I care.

True. What part of FOX do people not understand?

What part of people do you not understand? I think we all know that all of these new networks will blow, and blow hard, as they try to mimic ESPN.

I can't conceive of any of them having the courage to do anything that would remotely be considered ground-breaking.

Last edited:
Just curious, what kind of programming would you consider "groundbreaking" for a national sports network?

ESPN had the crappy side of the NBA playoffs this year. That's one big reason ratings were down. If they had big market teams, their ratings would have been much higher.

ESPN had the crappy side of the NBA playoffs this year. That's one big reason ratings were down. If they had big market teams, their ratings would have been much higher.

Which bigger market teams did you have in mind?

They had the Finals which did a great number IIRC (technically ABC, I guess)

Back